This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the samples was generously provided by Lion Brand.
But I do like to mix things up a bit. (Don’t worry if you prefer the “traditional” granny square. Just check out my Mod 9-Patch Blanket, a free blanket pattern using the classic granny, instead!)
Today’s free crochet pattern adds a little spice to your granny square by including some shape changes (from a circle to a square) and some texture (with popcorn stitches).
I made two versions. Version A (at left) is great for adding a variety of colors or using up yarn scraps. Version B (at right) is easy to add to a planned blanket with just a few colors.
I’ve rated this pattern as intermediate because it uses popcorns, but most adventurous beginners can make it!
Circle with Popcorn Granny Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6” (15 cm) square.
- Version A: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Baby (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 169 Sweet Pea (CA), 106 Little Boy Blue (CB), 132 Goldfish (CC), 157 Duckie (CD), and 108 Bluebell (CE), or approximately 11 yds (10 m) in each of 5 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- Version B: Lion Brand Heartland (100% acrylic, 5 oz/142 g, 251 yd/230 m) – 1 skein each in 109 Olympic (CA) and 105 Glacier Bay (CB), or approximately 35 yds (32 m) in CA and 17 yds (15.5 m) in CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Shop for Lion Brand Yarns on LeisureArts.com!
- 6” (15 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- CE – Color E
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- FPdc – front post double crochet (see Special Stitches)
- hdc – half double crochet
- pop – 5-dc popcorn (see Special Stitches)
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- FPdc – front post double crochet – Yo, insert hook from front around back to front of st, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice. Sk st behind FPdc. (A video tutorial for this stitch is available here.)
- pop – 5-dc popcorn – Dc 5 times in same st, remove hook from loop and insert hook from front to back of first dc in group, pick up dropped loop and pull through loop on hook.
- Square is crocheted in the round with the right (front) side facing.
- Version A is crocheted using CA for chain, Rnd 1, and Rnd 2; CB for Rnd 3; CC for Rnd 4; CD for Rnd 5; and CE for Rnd 6.
- Version B is crocheted using CA for chain, Rnd 1, Rnd 2, Rnd 4, and Rnd 6; and CB for Rnd 3 and Rnd 5.
- Ch 4, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), 11 dc in ring, sl st to top of first ch 3. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Starting in first st, *FPdc around next, ch 1; rep from * around, join with sl st to top of first FPdc, fasten off. (12 sts + 12 ch-1 sp)
- Rnd 3: Join next color with sl st to BL of any FPdc, ch 3, dcBL in same st, pop in next ch-1 sp, *(2 dcBL in next st, dc in next ch-1 sp) twice,** 2 dcBL in next st, pop in next ch-1 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Join next color with sl st to st to right of any pop (or, if you’re a leftie, join next color to st to left of any pop), (ch 3, 2 dc) in same st, ch 2, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st, *dc, hdc, sc in next 2 sts, hdc, dc,** 3 dc in next st, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (48 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Join next color with sl st in any ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in same sp, *(sk 3 sts, 3 dc between next 2 sts, ch 1) twice,** (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (48 sts + 12 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6: Join next color with sl st in any ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in same sp, *[(3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-1 sp] 3 times,** (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (60 sts + 12 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.