Welcome to the Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long! If you’re just learning about the CAL, read this post for more details and links to the rest of the crochet-a-long.
Today, I’m sharing the third clue in the Picnic Basket Shawl pattern. We’ll be continuing to work through Rows 7-9.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re feeling impatient or want an easy-print format, you can opt to buy a PDF version of the pattern on Craftsy!
Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long Week 3
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 48” (122 cm) wingspan x 12” (30.5 cm) width unblocked; 52” (132 cm) wingspan x 16” (40.5 cm) width blocked.
- Malabrigo Yarn Sock (3.5 oz/100 g/440 yds/402 m/100% superwash Merino wool) – 2 skeins 120 Lotus, or approximately 770 yds/704 m in any super fine weight yarn.
- US Size E-4 (3.5 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 1 motif in pattern = 3” (7.5 cm) wide unblocked. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Gauge is measured across widest point of motif in Row 5 or Row 8.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sp(s) – space(s)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Row 7: Turn, ch 4 (counts as dc + ch-1 sp), (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 2) twice, *(sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5) 4 times, sc in ch-5 sp,** (ch 2, cl in ch-1 sp) 4 times, ch 2; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 2 ch-1 sps remaining, (ch 2, cl in ch-1 sp) twice, ch 1, dc in third ch of t-ch.
- Row 8: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in ch-2 sp, ch 1, 2 dc in ch-2 sp, *(sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5) 3 times, sc in ch-5 sp, 2 dc in ch-2 sp,** (ch 1, 3 dc in ch- 2 sp) 3 times, ch 1, 2 dc in ch-2 sp; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 1 ch-2 sp and 1 ch-1 sp remaining, ch 1, 3 dc in ch-2 sp, ch 1, dc in ch-1 sp, dc in third ch of t-ch.
- Row 9: Turn, ch 4 (counts as hdc + ch-2 sp), (sc in ch-1 sp, ch 5) twice, *sc in ch-5 sp, [dc, ch 1, (cl, ch 1) 3 times, dc] in ch-5 sp, sc in ch-5 sp,** (ch 5, sc in ch-1 sp) 4 times, ch 5; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 2 ch-1 sps remaining, (ch 5, sc in ch-1 sp) twice, ch 2, hdc in t- ch.
- Rows 10-39: Rep Rows 4-9 five more times, or until shawl measures 12” (30.5 cm) width, or your desired length.
You can also watch this week’s video for a walkthrough of Rows 7-9. If you can’t see the video below, click here to watch it on YouTube.
If you’re measuring your gauge (I know many of you won’t!), it should measure 3″ (7.5 cm) across the widest point of the [dc, ch 1, (cl, ch 1) 3 times, dc] in ch-5 sp part of Row 5 or Row 8.
© 2015 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/picnic2015. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
For the full crochet-a-long schedule, visit the CAL announcement here.
- Don’t forget to add the Picnic Basket Shawl to your Ravelry favorites!