Unless this is your first visit to the blog, you know that I love granny squares. I find them very soothing to make when I’m stressed out, and over the years, I’ve donated my fair share to charity as well as transformed hundreds into blankets.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
This particular granny was a lot of fun to make, and it used up some scrap yarn I had left over from a bigger project, the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket (also a free crochet pattern).
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6” (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Baby (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 108 Bluebell (CA), 157 Duckie (CB), and 132 Goldfish (CC), or approximately 15 yds (14 m) in each of 3 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- beg-cl – beginning cluster – Ch 2, (yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 4 times, yo and draw through all 5 loops.
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- WS – wrong (back) side
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisks as indicated.
- With CA, ch 4, sk 3 ch, sl st in first ch to join into circle.
- Rnd 1: (WS) Beg-cl in ring, (ch 3, cl in ring) 5 times, ch 3, join with sl st to beg-cl. Fasten off CA. (6 sts + 6 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 2: Turn to RS, join CB with sl st in any ch-3 sp, ch 1, starting in same sp (3 sc in next ch-3 sp, 2 sc in next cl) around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (30 sts)
- Rnd 3: Join CC with sl st to any st, ch 1, starting in same st *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around, join with st sl to top of first sc. Fasten off CC. (40 sts)
- Rnd 4: Join CB with sl st to BL of any st, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in same st, *dcBL in next 9 sts,** (2 dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CB. (52 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Join CA with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 5 (counts as dc + ch-2 sp), dc in same sp, *(dc, ch 1, sk 1 st) 6 times, dc in next st,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (60 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6: Join CB with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, (dc in ch-1 sp, sk 1 st, ch 1) 5 times, dc in ch-1 sp and in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off CB. (76 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails.
© 2015 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2015/08/12/free-pattern-marigold-granny-square/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!