This simple crochet pattern for a mitered square pet blanket can be adjusted to the perfect size for your furry friend or to donate to an animal shelter.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you may already know about my two rescued cats. I have been a “cat person” since my dad was first encouraged to rescue some strays when I was a kid. He was living in Brooklyn at the time in a building with a back yard, so strays were just part of the landscape.
Since my last update on the two brothers, James Bond and Cappuccino have settled in even more.
(There’s always a but.)
Cappuccino still gets pretty possessive of his “belongings,” but James Bond – being about twice Cappuccino’s size – soon dominates most of the cushions, spaces, and playthings designated for our tiny Cappuccino.
Since James Bond has all but claimed the ripple blanket MC’s aunt made him as a child, I figured an itty bitty pet blanket was the best solution for Cappuccino. If it was small enough, James Bond would have no use for it, and it would be just right for my little putty dude.
If you have pets, you know how quickly they fall in love with your handmade goodies. If they aren’t getting into the yarn while you’re crocheting, they’re photobombing their way into your Ravelry project pictures.
To say that Cappuccino likes his new blanket would be an understatement.
It would also be an understatement to say it was difficult to get a picture of him enjoying it.
By the way, dogs love this blanket, too. I have proof.
So today’s free pattern is a pet blanket that works equally well for your feline or canine pals. It’s also sized for donation to a pet shelter as part of the Snuggles Project who recommend making blankets in these three sizes: 14″ (35.5 cm) square for cats and small animals, 24″ (61 cm) square for small to medium dogs, and 36″ (91.4 cm) square for medium to large dogs. If you’d like to learn more about donating to the Snuggles Project, you can read my guest post on Oombawka Design Crochet, where this pattern was originally published.
Don’t forget to share a picture on Ravelry or with my Facebook page if you make one!
Mitered Square Pet Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This square blanket has a fun ribbed texture. The close stitches make it perfect for pet blankets.
- Adjustable. Pictured sample is 14” (35.5 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Heartland (5 oz/142 g/251 yds/230 m/100% acrylic) – 1 skein ea in 109 Olympic (CA) and 105 Glacier Bay (CB), or approximately 125 yds (114 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn. Larger blankets will require more yarn.
- US Size H-8 (5 mm) crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Locking stitch marker or scrap yarn.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project, but stitches should be snug to avoid holes in the fabric.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisk as indicated.
- Carry unworked color up side of piece. Move stitch marker up each row to mark center st for increase.
- Although the instructions are for a small 14” (35.5 cm) square blanket, this pattern can be easily customized. Just continue Rows 3-6 until the blanket measures approximately 0.5” (1.25 cm) smaller than your final desired size, and then start the border.
- Be sure to weave in your ends securely, since pets sometimes chew on blankets and swallowing yarn is dangerous.
- With CA, ch 2.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, 3 sc in next ch, place marker in second (middle) sc. (3 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, scBL in first st, 3 scBL in marked st (move marker to second st), scBL in next st, changing to CB with last yo of final sc. (5 sts)
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, scBL in ea st to marked st, 3 scBL in marked st (move marker to second st), scBL in ea st across. (Increases by 2 sts)
- Row 4: Turn, ch 1, scBL in ea st to marked st, 3 scBL in marked st (move marker to second st), scBL in ea st across, changing to CA with last yo of final sc. (Increases by 2 sts)
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Row 6: Turn, ch 1, scBL in ea st to marked st, 3 scBL in marked st (move marker to second st), scBL in ea st across, changing to CB with last yo of final sc. (Increases by 2 sts)
- Rep Rows 3-6 until square measures approximately 12” (30.5 cm) or until desired length, ending after Row 5. Fasten off CB with long yarn tail and continue in CA.
- Round 1: Rep Row 3 to last st. 3 scBL in last st, *turning to work across edge of blanket, sc in side of ea row to first st (being sure to crochet over unworked yarn from color changes), 3 sc in first (corner) st, turning to work across edge of blanket, sc in side of ea row to beginning of border, 2 sc in side of row, join with sl st to first (corner) st. Fasten off CA with long yarn tail.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails securely
6 thoughts on “Crochet Pattern: Mitered Square Pet Blanket”
Thanks for sharing this pattern. I just threw one together using variegated yarn and it looks adorable.