I’m thrilled to share the third pattern in this year’s Holiday Stashdown Crochet-A-Long. (If you’re new to the Holiday Stashdown CAL, you can find all the details here.)
This post contains affiliate links.
A few years ago, I received this lovely skein of Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a swap. It happens to be in my favorite color (purple) but it sat in my stash for a while, waiting for its true purpose to be revealed.
This pattern uses two of my favorite stitches, crossed double crochet and mock triple crochet bobbles. The texture is a delight to watch as it develops in front of your eyes.
This makes a great unisex project that works for almost any adult on your holiday list. Make it with one color, like I did, or with striped edges, or with stripes. Either way, it’s a great way to use up stash yarn.
To join the Holiday Stashdown CAL…
- You can join in by crocheting each of the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #HolidayStashdownCAL2016 on all social media.
- Chat with other crocheters in our Facebook and Ravelry groups.
- By the end of the crochet-a-long, you’ll have 24 great gifts for the holiday season.
- Find more details, including a schedule and links to the patterns, here.
Enter your finished project in the Holiday Stashdown CAL end-of-CAL giveaway by sharing a finished project picture here!
Mock Bobbles Cowl
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 6” (15 cm) height x 26” (66 cm) circumference.
- Berroco Ultra Alpaca (50% alpaca/50% wool, 3.5 oz/100 g, 215 yd/198 m) – 1 skein in 6284 Prune Mix, or approximately 215 yds (198 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 14 sts x 5 rows in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Sk st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st. (A photo tutorial for this stitch is available here)
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- FPsc – front post single crochet – Insert hook from front around back to front of tr in previous round while pushing tr towards front, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops, sk st behind FPsc. (A photo tutorial for this stitch is available here)
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- tr – triple (treble) crochet
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Photo tutorials for both special stitches are available here
- This project uses almost an entire skein of yarn, so while gauge is not important, significantly larger stitches (fewer stitches per inch) may result in running out of yarn before finishing.
- For striped edges, work foundation chain through Rnd 2 and Rnds 20-22 in a different color.
- Entire project is worked with right (front) side facing.
- Ch 92 (or any multiple of 2).
- Set Up Row: Turn, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch and ea ch across. Being careful not to twist, join with sl st to first sc and begin working in the round. (91 sts)
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, cdc around, join with sl st to ch 2.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, scBL in same st and ea st around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 2, *sc in next st, tr in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to ch 2.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st, *sc in next st, FPsc around next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 5-19: Rep Rnds 2-4 5 more times, or until cowl measures approximately 5” (13 cm) in height.
- Rnd 20: Rep Rnd 2.
- Rnd 21: Rep Rnd 1.
- Rnd 22: Ch 1, sc in same st and ea st around, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends and seam set up row closed.