This post contains affiliate links.
Back in 2014, I fell in love with four skeins of hand dyed yarn from Feederbrook Farm at Vogue Knitting Live, including these two.
I had several ideas for the yarn over the past two years, but none really called out to me until a few weeks ago. I always knew I would alternate the solid color with the multicolor yarn, but it wasn’t until I actually started crocheting that I realized that the multicolor yarn was actually self-striping yarn. (You can learn more about the features of different types of multicolor yarns in this post.)
A few notes about the pattern: This yarn is now discontinued, but you can easily substitute any coordinating solid and self-striping yarn. A handspun yarn, like this Shepherd Spun, will add even more texture. And, while I’ve listed this as an intermediate pattern, an adventurous beginner can easily complete it. Enjoy!
Never miss another free crochet pattern! Sign up for my email newsletter here.
If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.
Puff-y Stripes Scarf
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 5” (13 cm) wide x 53” (134.5 cm) long unblocked. 5” (13 cm) wide x 54.5” (138.5 cm) long blocked.
- Feederbrook Farm Shepherd Spun (3 oz/88 g/160 yds/146 m/100% wool) – 1 skein ea in self-striping colorway (CA) and solid colorway (CB), or approximately 160 yds (146 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight.
- US Size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 14 sts x 11 rows = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- esc – extended single crochet – Insert hook in st or sp, yo and draw up a loop, ch 1, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook.
- FL – front loop only
- hdc – half double crochet
- pf – 3-repeat puff stitch – (Yo, insert hook in st or sp, yo and draw up a loop) 3 times in same st or sp, yo and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisks as indicated.
- Carry unworked colors up side of scarf unless otherwise instructed. These tails will be covered by border.
- To create a similar look with different yarn, use any self-striping yarn for CA and any coordinating (or contrasting) solid yarn for CB.
- Scarf is worked flat in rows. Border is worked in the round.
- With CA, ch 18, or any even number of sts.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch and ea ch across. (17 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, escFL in first st and ea st across.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Row 2 twice.
- Row 5: Rep Row 2, changing to CB in last yo of final escFL.
- Row 6: Turn, ch 1, escFL in first st, ch 1, sk 1 st, *pf in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st; rep from * across to last st, escFL in last st.
- Row 7: Turn, ch 1, escFL in first st, *pf in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk 1 st; rep from * across to last ch-1 sp, pf in next ch-1 sp, escFL in next st, changing to CA in last yo.
- Row 8: Turn, ch 1, escFL in same st and next st, *esc in next ch-1 sp, escFL in next st; rep from * across to last st, escFL in last st.
- Rows 9-10: Rep Row 2 twice.
- Row 11: Rep Row 5.
- Rows 12-13: Rep Rows 6-7.
- Rep Rows 8-13 until scarf measures approximately 53” (134.5 cm) long. Fasten off CB.
- Rows 14-16: Rep Row 2 – 3 times.
- Row 17: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st and ea st across, changing to CB in last yo of final sc. Fasten off CA.
- Round 1: Turn to work across long edge, ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in side of same row and ea row across to first row, 2 hdc in side of first row, ch 2, turn to work across short edge, hdc in ea st across unworked side of foundation chain, ch 2, turn to work across long edge, 2 hdc in side of first row while working over yarn tails, hdc in side of ea row while working over yarn tails across to last row, 2 hdc in side of last row, ch 2, hdc in ea st across last row, ch 2, join with sl st to top of first ch 2. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if desired.