I’ve mentioned before that granny squares are my favorite go-to projects for stress relief. They’re also super portable, so grannies are perfect for commuting or traveling, too.
This post contains affiliate links. The Flower Loom and yarn for this project were generously provided by Boye and Lion Brand, respectively.
Back in April, I got my hands on a Boye Flower Loom for the first time. After making several yarn flower craft projects, I decided to try “squaring up” the flower into a granny square. You can find a video tutorial for making a yarn flower on a Flower Loom, along with more yarn flower projects, here. This pattern also includes its own video tutorial at the end.
These grannies can be easily turned into a blanket by joining them together in rows to reach your desired width, and then joining the rows together to reach your desired length. (Tip: Weave in the ends as you go, rather than waiting until the blanket is finished. Trust me on this one!)
If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.
Flower Loom Granny Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Motif: 4” (10 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Pound of Love (16 oz/448 g/1020 yd/933 m/100% acrylic) – 1 skein ea in 100 White (CA) and 148 Turquoise (CB), or approximately 6 yd (5.5 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size G-8 (5 mm) crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Boye Flower Loom.
- Finished motif = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd – Round
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisks as indicated.
- A video tutorial for making a yarn flower with a flower loom is available here.
- Make a yarn flower with flower loom using CA for petals and CB for flower center. Remove flower from loom.
Join flower to square
- Rnd 1: Join CB with sl st to any petal, ch 1, 2 sc in same petal, *(ch 2, sc in next petal) twice, ch 2,** (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in next petal; rep from * twice, then rep from * to ** once, (2 sc, ch 1) in first petal, sc (counts as ch 1, here and throughout) in first sc to join. (24 sc + 16 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), dc in same ch-2 sp, *dc in next 2 sts, (2 dc in ch-2 sp, sk next sc) twice, 2 dc in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 2 sts,** (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in corner ch-2 sp; rep from * twice, then rep from * to ** once, (2 dc, ch 2) in first ch-2 sp, sc in BL at top of ch 3 to join. (56 sts + 4 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in same ch-3 sp, *scBL in next 14 sts across to ch-3 sp,** (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in ch-3 sp; rep from * twice, then rep from * to ** once, (2 sc, ch 1) in first ch-3 sp, sc in first sc to join. (72 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if desired.
© 2016 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2016/07/08/free-pattern-flower-loom-granny-square. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Watch the video tutorial for this pattern below.
If you can’t see the video above, click here to watch the video on YouTube.