Instead of staring at that pile, I decided to do something with at least one pair. (I had to start somewhere, didn’t I?) I transformed those ragged jeans into an easy peasy decorative wreath adorned with yarn flowers.
Upcycled Denim Wreath with Yarn Flowers
Tutorial by Underground Crafter
- Red Heart Soft (5 oz/141 g/256 yd/234 m/100% acrylic) – 1 skein ea in 9925 Really Red (CA) and 2515 Turquoise (CB), or approximately 6 yd (5.5 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
Shop for Red Heart Soft yarn at your favorite retailer!
- Boye Flower Loom.
- Fabri-Tac fabric glue.
- A retired pair of jeans.
- 10″ (25.5 cm) FloraCraft Easy Wreath.
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter.
- Picture hanger (optional).
- Make 4 yarn flowers with your Flower Loom. Fasten off with long yarn tails. (You can find my video tutorial, How to Make a Yarn Flower with a Flower Loom, here, along with links to more Flower Loom tutorials.) I used CA for the petals and CB for the center.
Shop for the Boye Flower Loom at your favorite retailer!
- With fabric scissors, cut 1 leg off jeans. (photos 1-2) (Depening on the size of your jeans and your wreath, you may need another leg.)
- Cut off the hem of the jeans leg. (photo 3)
- Turn the leg inside out. (photo 4)
- Trim off the side seams of the jeans leg. (photo 5)
- Now you’ll have 2 pieces of jeans leg. (photo 6)
- Cut the pieces into long strips. (photo 7) I didn’t measure mine before cutting but each strip was about 2″ – 3″ (5 – 7.5 cm) wide. These strips don’t have to be perfectly straight.
- Apply Fabri-Tac to the wrong side of the narrow edge of the jeans strip. (photo 8). Tip: Keep things neat by working over a surface you can discard after the glue dries, like used newspaper, or a paper or plastic bag.
- Place the narrow edge of the jeans strip, glue side down, onto the wreath and press it down firmly. (photo 9)
- Wrap the jeans strip around the wreath. Overlap each wrap of the strip over the edge of the last wrap to cover the wreath. (photos 10-12)
- As the jeans strip runs out, use the Fabri-Tac to glue the narrow edge in place at the back of the wreath. Attach a new strip, using the Fabri-Tac to glue the narrow edge to the last strip at the back of the wreath.
- Continue wrapping the jeans strips until the entire wreath is covered. (photo 13). Use the Fabri-Tac to glue down the last narrow edge at the back of the wreath.
- Position the yarn flowers evenly spaced on the front of the wreath. Tie into position at the back of the wreath. (photo 14)
- Apply the Fabri-Tac under the ties to glue the yarn flowers onto the jeans strips. (photo 15)
- Allow the glue to dry. Cut off the excess yarn tails.
- Attach a picture hanger to the back of the wreath if desired.
- Enjoy your Upcycled Denim Wreath with Yarn Flowers!