Welcome to Part 3 of the Layers of Texture Infinity Scarf crochet-a-long! (If you’re just learning about the CAL, you can find all the details and links to prior posts here.)
This post contains affiliate links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
At the end of this stitch, you’ll be halfway through your scarf. I’m so happy to see so many crocheters picking up intermeshing crochet for the first time!
If you’d like to watch the video for this section, scroll down past the pattern.
- Stop by the CGOA Ravelry group or CGOA CALs Facebook group to chat or ask questions. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- Ravelry members can also add the pattern to your Ravelry queue or favorites.
- Grab a button if you’d like! Right click on it to save and use the image on Ravelry or elsewhere.
Layers of Texture Infinity Scarf Part 3: Chains and Spines Stitch
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Teen/Adult: 4” (10 cm) wide x 54” (137 cm) long (unblocked).
- Lion Brand Heartland (100% acrylic, 5 oz/142 g, 251 yd/230 m) – 1 skeins ea in 174 Joshua Tree (CA) and 169 Shenandoah (CB), or approximately 175 yd (160 m) in ea of 2 contrasting colors in any medium weight yarn.
Shop for Lion Brand Heartland at your favorite retailer!
- US J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Optional: 2 locking stitch markers.
- 17 sts x 8 rows (1A & 1B) in Staircase Stitch = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dc/b – double crochet in back of ch-1 sp of alternate color piece
- dc/f – double crochet in front of ch-1 sp of alternate color piece
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip st
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- You can find more information about the Layers of Texture Infinity Scarf, including the crochet-a-long schedule, here.
- If you’re new to intermeshing crochet, you may want to watch the video for this section, available at the end of the pattern.
- Locking stitch markers can be added to loop before removing from hook to keep piece from unraveling.
- Each row is worked in 2 parts before turning. “A” rows use CA only. “B” rows use CB only.
Part 1: Getting Started; Staircase Stitch is available here
Part 2: Divider Rows and Horizontal and Vertical Stitch is available here
- Turn, drop CB yarn to back of project.
- Row 7A: With CA, ch 4, dc/b in next st, (ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/f in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/b in next st) 3 times; ch 1, dc/f in next st, drop CA and do not turn.
- Row 7B: With CB, ch 4, dc/b in next st, (ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/f in next st) twice, (ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/b in next st) twice, (ch 1, dc/f in next st) twice.
- Turn, drop CB yarn to back of project.
- Row 8A: With CA, ch 4, dc/f in next st, (ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/b in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/f in next st) 3 times, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc/b in next st, drop CA and do not turn.
- Row 8B: Rep 7B.
- Rep Rows 7-8 until piece measures approximately 8.5” (22 cm) from previous set of Divider Rows, ending after Row 8B.
- Rep Divider Rows 3-4 once.
© 2016 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2016/08/01/layers-of-texture-infinity-scarf-part-3. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Remember, you can join the CAL in the CGOA Ravelry group or CGOA CALs Facebook group. Don’t forget to add the pattern to your Ravelry queue or favorites. And, you can spread the word on social media with hashtag #cgoasummercal. Feel free to tag me – I’m Underground Crafter on Facebook, @ucrafter on Instagram and Twitter, and MarieInNYC on Ravelry.