Today is Giving Tuesday, a global day of giving started in 2012. To celebrate, I’m sharing a roundup of over 30 free crochet and knitting patterns for charity
(oh, and a yarn giveaway, but you’ll have to read on for more details about how to enter).
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re a longtime reader, you may know that for over 15 years, I worked in non-profit organizations. I co-founded a public high school for under-served, urban students; I wrote grants to raise over a million dollars in funding for low-income children and families; I managed a community health center; I served in AmeriCorps; and the list goes on. When I can, I still contribute my time and my money to organizations I trust to help communities and causes I care about.
I also donate many of my crochet and knitting projects to charitable organizations. While yarn doesn’t solve every problem, a handmade gift can really provide comfort to many. It also feels wonderful to share our talents with others! That’s why I share my monthly charity spotlights with free crochet patterns. I’m so excited to be collaborating with Lion Brand as part of their Yarn Heroes campaign.
You can check this post for updates throughout the Yarn Heroes campaign, or you can subscribe to my weekly email list. I’ll include links to the latest Yarn Heroes patterns and giveaways each week (and you’ll also get access to the other goodies that I share exclusively with my subscribers).
And, don’t forget…
- Get $5 off any $20 or above yarn purchases for charity crafting at LionBrand.com through December 15, 2016 with coupon code YARNHEROES2016.
- Use the hashtag #YarnHeroes if you share your version of one of the featured projects (or any project you make for charity) on social media.
- Lion Brand is on the lookout for 4 Yarn Heroes who will each win $250 in yarn for the charity of their choice. You can learn more about how to share your story and enter here.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Find your next project! #Roundup of 30+ free #crochet & #knitting patterns for #charity #yarnheroes” quote=”Find your next project! #Roundup of 30+ free #crochet & #knitting patterns for #charity #yarnheroes”]
Roundup: 30+ free crochet and knitting patterns for charity
Today’s roundup features 22 free crochet patterns and 10 free knitting patterns for charity in Lion Brand yarns. Don’t forget to use hashtag #YarnHeroes to share pictures if you make one of these for charity! Photos are copyright the respective designers and are used with permission.
- Mountaintop Super Scarf (photo 3), free crochet pattern by @fiberflux with video tutorial
- Color Blocked Co-Ed Scarf (photo 15), free crochet pattern by @UCrafter (that’s me!)
- Hello Gnome Mittens (photo 2), free crochet pattern by @mooglyblog in 3 sizes
- Star Mittens (photo 14), free crochet pattern by @KatiDCreations in 3 sizes
- Sleigh Ride Mittens (photo 7), free crochet pattern by @fiberflux with video tutorial
- Tree Hugger Mittens, free crochet pattern by @GleefulThings in 2 sizes
- Women’s Chunky Boat Slippers (photo 1), free crochet pattern by @WhistleAndIvy in 4 sizes
- Bow Cuff Slipper Boots (photo 19), free crochet pattern by @BustingStitches in 12 sizes
- Chunky Cowboy Slippers (photo 10), free crochet pattern by @LavenderChair in 3 sizes
- Strawberry Blossom Slipper Socks (photo 18), free crochet pattern by @fiberflux with video tutorial
- Perfect Rustic Slippers (photo 12), free crochet pattern by @accrochet in 2 sizes
- Prayer Shawl (photo 16), free crochet pattern by @abcknittngptrns
- Prayer Shawl with Garter Stitch Stripes, free knitting pattern by @majorknitter
- Amazing Grace Prayer Shawl (photo 4), free crochet pattern by @BeaRyanDesigns
- Susan’s Simple and Warm Prayer Shawl, free knitting pattern by Susan Kolze
- Gentle Solace Prayer Shawl (photo 17), free crochet pattern by @OombawkaDesign
- A Peaceful Shawl, free knitting pattern by @fiberflux
- Basketweave Fiber Hug Shawl, free knitting pattern by Darilyn Page
- Kathy Kelly Cabled Capelet, free knitting pattern by Renate Haeckler
- Rustic Woodsmen Chemo Cap (photo 9), free crochet pattern by Trifles N Treasures
- Ellen’s Knit Hat, free knitting pattern by Ellen Harpin
- Baby Bear Hat (photo 11), free knitting pattern by @fiberflux in 2 sizes
- Amazing Grace Blissful Slouchy (photo 8), free crochet pattern by @BeaRyanDesigns
- The Do-Gooder Quick Knit Hat, free knitting pattern by @littleredwindow
- “The Loft” Pom Baby Blanket (photo 6), free crochet pattern by @mamainastitch
- ”Granny Gives Back” Hooded Baby Blanket, free crochet pattern by @MakeAndDoCrew
- Snug Harbor Knit Snuggle, free knitting pattern by Rae French
- Sue’s 2-Piece Diaper Set, free knitting pattern by Susan A. Coes in 2 sizes
Looking for more charity patterns? Check out:
- Crochet Charity Drive group on Facebook,
- My Crochet for Charity bundle of patterns on Ravelry,
- This roundup of 14 free crochet patterns for comfort shawls,
- My monthly charity spotlight series, or
- Knitting for Charity.
I told you there would be a giveaway! Lion Brand is offering 2 lucky winners enough yarn to make my latest free crochet pattern, Not Too Fussy Cap (Super Bulky Version) in the largest of the 6 sizes! This giveaway is open to readers with mailing addresses in the United States or Canada, except where prohibited by law. Enter by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday, December 6, 2016. Two winners will be chosen at random from the entries submitted via the Rafflecopter widget. Each winner will receive two skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn, courtesy of Lion Brand.