This is the second pattern in the Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop: Learn A New Stitch Dishcloth Series 2017. You can find all the information you’ll need to follow along, as well as regularly updated links to each of the 48 knitting patterns with photo or video tutorials, here.
We had a little change in schedule because Joanita‘s yarn is still making its way through customs, so I’m substituting for her this month. (I’ll be updating this post with a better picture soon, but I wanted to get the pattern out on time.) The garter ridge stitch is one of my favorite knitting patterns. You can find various of this stitch in several of my patterns, including the Givin’ Me Fever Pom Pom Hat and the Garter Ridge Square from the Anthology Blanket. You can find a complete video tutorial at the end of the pattern.
This post contains affiliate links. Materials for the sample were generously provided by Lion Brand and Denise.
How to join the Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop
- Follow the Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop here to get access to all included patterns.
- You can join in by knitting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #knittedkitchen on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other knitters, I have a special thread open here in my Ravelry group or you can join our new Facebook group.
- By the end of the blog hop, you’ll have up to 48 beautiful dishcloths. Use your dishcloths to:
- Learn new stitches from our tutorials,
- Decorate your kitchen and dining area,
- Get a head start on holiday gift giving (tip: coordinated sets make great gifts), and
- Have fun with us!
- Be sure to visit and follow the participating designers!
- Underground Crafter. Follow Marie (that’s me!) through her weekly newsletter or on Craftsy | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | StumbleUpon | Twitter | YouTube.
- Creative Crochet Workshop. Follow Joanita on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter.
- Stitches ‘N’ Scraps. Follow Pia on Craftsy | Facebook | G+ | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter.
- Craft Gossip: Knitting. Follow Sarah on Etsy | Facebook | G+ | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter | YouTube.
If you make your own Garter Ridge Stitch Dishcloth, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Garter Ridge Stitch Dishcloth to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Garter Ridge Stitch 12″ (30.5 cm) Dishcloth
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
Knits and purls combine to create a textured grid.
- 12″ (30.5 cm) square.
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton (100% mercerized cotton, 3.5 oz/100 g/186 yd/170 m) – 1 skein in 108 Denim, or approximately 186 yd (170 m) in any medium weight, cotton yarn.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 18 sts = 4″ (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Pattern repeat is any multiple of 4 sts, + 1. Instructions include 5 st borders on each side.
- CO 55 sts (or any multiple of 4 sts, + 1 for the edge + 10 for the borders).
- Border Row 1: Knit to last st, p1.
- Border Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Border Rows 3 & 4: Rep Border Row 2 twice.
Garter Ridge Stitch pattern
- Row 1: (RS) Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k4, *p1, k3; rep from * across to last 6 sts, p1, k4, p1.
- Row 3: Sl 1, k5, *p3, k1; rep from * across to last 5 sts, k4, p1.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2 once.
- Row 5: Rep Row 1 once.
- Rep Rows 2-5 until square measures approximately 11.5″ (29 cm), ending after Row 5.
- Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2 four times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
© 2017 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2017/01/12/free-knitting-pattern-garter-ridge-dishcloth/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
If you can’t see the video tutorial above, click here to watch it on YouTube.