I’m excited to share a crochet book review with a giveaway. I’ve also included an excerpted pattern, so read on for details!
This post contains affiliate links. A free review copy of Baby Shoes to Crochet was provided to me by Search Press North America. Although I accept free products for review, I do not accept additional compensation, nor do I guarantee a positive review. My reviews are based entirely on my honest opinions.
Baby Shoes to Crochet: Fashionable Styles for Little Feet is a crochet pattern book by Lucia Förthmann, the German blogger behind Kardiomuffelchen. The inside cover provides an introduction to Lucia, and shares how her passion for crochet developed when she was pregnant with her first child. From the start, the adorable illustrations by Susanne Bochem will make you smile. These line drawings of anthropomorphic crafty animals add a creative, childlike touch to the book which will make you smile. The book continues on to the Acknowledgements and then includes a Table of Contents with thumbnails of several patterns.
In the Introduction, Lucia talks about the joy she gets from crocheting booties and describes how addictive this can be. The next section, Crochet Basics, includes 13 pages with photo tutorials of basic crochet stitches (with US and UK pattern abbreviations in parenthesis); techniques like changing colors, increasing, and decreasing; special stitches used in the patterns; and joining/seaming techniques. There is also a written section of useful notes, a pattern abbreviation glossary, and a safety warning for projects for infants.
This section is followed by Instructions for Soles, which includes the pattern for soles in three sizes (0-3 months, 3-6 months, and 6-9 months). The pattern is written in US crochet terms with UK terms in parenthesis and also includes the pattern in each size charted in international stitch symbols.
The book then moves onto the patterns, which are organized into four sections: For Little Ladies; Wild Thing!; Sporty & Cheeky; and Summer, Sun & Sandals. There are 16 patterns in total, most of which mimic the look of adult shoes like Mary Janes, ballerina slippers, cowboy boots, sneakers, and espadrilles. Most of the patterns are designed for little girls, but the Cowboy Boots, Trainers, Basketball Shoes, and Hiking Boots patterns are suitable for boys as well. All of the patterns use Schachenmayr original Catania, a washable, cotton sport weight yarn.
Each pattern includes a brief introduction, a list of materials, instructions in US pattern abbreviations (with UK abbreviations in parenthesis) in three sizes. The patterns include full page photos of the slippers (often with the adult shoes they are modeled after in the background), the written pattern, and more of the cute illustrations. The section openings include more photographs.
The book layout is very eye-catching and fun. It would appeal to crocheters who like making projects for babies, portable projects, scrap projects, or quick projects. Although the soles pattern includes international stitch symbols, the other patterns only use pattern abbreviations, so crocheters who prefer charts may enjoy this book less. Baby Shoes to Crochet is visually appealing and has clear tutorials, but it’s also slim enough to bring with you on the go.
Crochet Pattern by Lucia Förthmann
Pattern and Photo © 2015 Edition Michael Fischer GmbH. First published in English in Great Britain 2016 by Search Press Limited. Shared with permission from Search Press North America.
Marie’s note: If you’re not familiar with the fp dc (front post double crochet) , you can find a video tutorial here.
This shoe is a must-have, and essential for any well-stocked shoe cupboard – perfect for every day or special occasions.
- Crochet hook US B (2.5mm)
- Schachenmayr original Catania (50g/137yd/125m) in Cyclamen (Col 114) and Flesh (Col 257), 50g
HOW TO DO IT:
For one shoe
- Crochet a sole in desired size in Flesh-coloured yarn. Join the Cyclamen yarn to the first st of the last rd, and continue working in rounds. Close the rd with 1 sl st into the first st of the rd. Crochet 1 ch at the beginning of each rd, and do not turn the work. Note that if the instructions tell you to dec 1 st, you must dec a sc (dc) and not a dc (tr).
- Rd 1: Work into the back loop of the stitch only. 1 sc (dc) into each st of the previous rd (51/55/57 sts).
- Rd 2: 11/13/14 sc (dc), 25 dc (tr), 15/17/18 sc (dc) (51/55/57 sts).
- Rd 3: 11/13/14 sc (dc), *1 fp dc (fp tr), 2 bp dc (bp tr)*, rep from * to * 7 times, 1 fp dc (fp tr), 15/17/18 sc (dc) (51/55/57 sts).
- Rd 4: 9/11/12 sc (dc), dec 1 st, *1 fp dc (fp tr), 2 sc (dc)*, rep from * to * 7 times, 1 fp dc (fp tr), dec 1 st, 13/15/16 sc (dc) (49/53/55 sts).
- Rd 5: 10/12/13 sc (dc), *1 fp dc (fp tr), dec 1 st*, rep from * to * 7 times, 1 fp dc (fp tr), 14/16/17 sc (dc) (41/45/47 sts).
- Rd 6: 10/12/13 sc (dc), *1 fp dc (fp tr), 1 sc (dc)*, rep from * to * 7 times, 1 fp dc (fp tr), 12/14/15 sc (dc), dec 1 st (40/44/46 sts).
- Rd 7: 8/10/11 sc (dc), dec 1 st, *1 fp dc (fp tr), miss 1 st*, rep from * to * 7 times, 1 fp dc (fp tr), dec 1 st, 11/13/14 sc (dc) (30/34/36 sts).
- Do not fasten off, but continue crocheting as follows:
- Rd 8: 1 ch, turn work, 10/12/13 sc (dc), 13/14/15 ch, [1 sc (dc), 1 hdc (htr), 3 dc (tr)] into the 2nd ch from the hook, 1 hdc (htr) into the remaining 11/12/13 ch, 1 sl st into the next free st of Rd 7.
- Fasten off.
- Rd 8: 7/9/10 sc (dc), 13/14/15 ch, [1 sc (dc), 1 hdc (htr), 3 dc (tr)] into the 2nd ch from the hook, 1 hdc (htr) into each of the remaining 11/12/13 ch, 1 sl st into the 8th/10th/11th st of Rd 7.
- Secure the yarn and cut.
- Attach the ankle strap to the opposite side of the shoe using the matching thread.
- Repeat for the second shoe.
So now that you’ve read the review and checked out the sample pattern, I’m sure you’d like to get your hands on a copy of Baby Shoes to Crochet: Fashionable Styles for Little Feet. The nice folks at Search Press North America have set aside a copy for one lucky reader!
This giveaway is open to readers with mailing addresses in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, or other parts of Europe, except where prohibited by law. Enter by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday, April 4, 2017. One winner will be chosen at random from the entries submitted via the Rafflecopter widget. The winner will receive 1 copy of Baby Shoes to Crochet, courtesy of Search Press North America. Good luck!