After dropping hints about the Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket all week, I’m so excited to finally share the pattern with you! This blanket includes 6 variations on the traditional granny square, set on point to create a beautifully striking throw or baby blanket. This is a great beginner-friendly granny square project where you can practice motif variations and seaming and come up with something that looks far more complicated than it is.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for the sample were generously provided by Red Heart and Clover.
I’ve always loved blankets that are assembled on point. I mean, why should everything just be in regular straight rows, right?
Bonus: Everything set on point looks so much harder, so you get extra crochet cred without doing much more than a regular assembly.
This post is the last part of my 30-day celebration of granny squares, Granny Square Month.
If you make your own Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
Set 6 variations on the traditional granny square on point to create a beautifully striking throw or baby blanket.
- Baby Blanket/Throw: Approximately 39.5” (100 cm) square.
- Red Heart With Love yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g/370 yd/338 m) – 2 skeins in 1101 Eggshell (MC) and 1 skein ea in 1201 Daffodil (CA), 1502 Iced Aqua (CB), 1704 Bubble Gum (CC), and 1601 Lettuce (CD), or approximately 580 yd (530 m) in MC, 220 yd (201 m) in CA, 350 yd (320 m) in CB, 270 yd (247 m) in CC, and 325 yd (297 m) in CD in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge. (I used a Clover Amour hook.)
- Yarn needle.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set, or locking stitch markers.
- Square motifs in pattern = 6.75” (17 cm) square. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- invdecBL – invdecBL – Insert hook in back loop only of ea of next 2 sts, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops.
- MC – Main Color
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat the instructions following the asterisk as indicated.
- () Instructions within parenthesis are worked into indicated stitch or space.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Motifs are joined using a slip stitch seam on the wrong side. A slip stitch seam tutorial is available here.
- Make motifs as follows:
- 12 Traditional Granny Half-Square Triangle motifs in MC,
- 5 Traditional Granny Square motifs in MC,
- 5 Sunshine Granny Square motifs in CA,
- 5 Double Crochet Granny Square motifs in CB,
- 5 Granny in the Corner motifs in CC, and
- 5 Windmill Granny Square motifs in CD.
- Fasten off motifs with long yarn tails (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for joining.
- Following assembly diagram, join motifs with slip stitch seam using yarn tails and crochet hook. Seam motifs on the wrong (back side) with right (front) sides facing.
Attach Quarter Square Corners
- Row 1: With right (front) side facing and following assembly diagram (see page 3), join CD with sl st to corner ch-sp of corner square, ch 1, sc in same st and work 24 additional sc evenly over side of square.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, invdecBL, scBL across to last 2 sts, invdecBL. (23 sts)
- Rows 3-12: Rep Row 2 – 10 times, decreasing by 2 sts ea rep until 3 sts remain.
- Row 13: Turn, ch 1, insert hook in back loop only of ea of next 3 sts, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 3 loops. Place marker in st to mark corner. Fasten off. (1 st)
- Rep Rows 1-13 on ea corner square following assembly diagram.
- Rnd 1: With right (front) side facing, join CC with sl st to any marked corner st, ch 1, *3 sc in same st, place marker in second st to mark corner, work sc across to next marked st; rep from * around, ending last rep at st before first marked st. (Note: You do not need a specific st count for this border row. I worked 1 sc in ea st, ch-1 sp, and side of sc rows, and 3 sc in side of ea ch-3 or dc row.) Fasten off CC.
- Rnd 2: With right (front) side facing, join CB to any marked corner st, remove stitch marker, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in same st, [*dc in ea st across to marked st,** (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in marked st, remove marker] 3 times, rep from * to ** once, 2 dc in first st, ch 1, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off CB.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
5 thoughts on “Crochet Pattern: Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket”
This is a Beautiful design…I will enjoy this
Created design pattern…The instructions & photos are fantastic…MMoody