This is the twenty-seventh pattern in the Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop: Learn A New Stitch Dishcloth Series 2017. You can find all the information you’ll need to follow along, as well as regularly updated links to each of the 48 knitting patterns with photo or video tutorials, here.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for the sample were generously provide by Lion Brand and Denise.
This week’s dishcloth features uses slip stitches to make colorwork easy.
Use contrasting colors or go scrappy for different results. I’ve previously used the Ribbon Stitch for this cowl.
How to join the Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop
- Sign up for our weekly Knitted Kitchen newsletter to get an email when a new pattern is released.
- You can join in by knitting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #knittedkitchen on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other knitters, I have a special thread open here in my Ravelry group or you can join our new Facebook group.
- By the end of the blog hop, you’ll have up to 48 beautiful dishcloths. Use your dishcloths to:
- Learn new stitches from our tutorials,
- Decorate your kitchen and dining area,
- Get a head start on holiday gift giving (tip: coordinated sets make great gifts), and
- Have fun with us!
- Be sure to visit and follow the participating designers!
- Underground Crafter. Follow Marie (that’s me!) through her weekly newsletter or on Craftsy | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | StumbleUpon | Twitter | YouTube.
- Creative Crochet Workshop. Follow Joanita on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter.
- Stitches ‘N’ Scraps. Follow Pia on Craftsy | Facebook | G+ | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter.
- Craft Gossip: Knitting. Follow Sarah on Etsy | Facebook | G+ | Instagram | Pinterest | Ravelry | Twitter | YouTube.
If you make your own Ribbon Stitch Dishcloth, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Ribbon Stitch Dishcloth to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Ribbon Stitch 8″ (20.5 cm) Dishcloth
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 8″ (20.5 cm) square.
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton (100% mercerized cotton, 3.5 oz/100 g/186 yd/170 m) –1 skein each in 98 Ecru (CA) and 142 Rose (CB), or approximately 34 yd (31 m) in each of 2 colors any medium weight, cotton yarn.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain gauge. (I used my Denise2Go Knitting for the Cure set for the sample.)
- Yarn needle.
- 18 sts = 4″ (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- pw – purlwise
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl – slip
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- wyib – with yarn in back
- wyif – with yarn in front
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
Special Stitch Patterns
- sl 1 pw wyib – slip 1 st purlwise with yarn in back – Bring yarn to back as if to knit. Insert right needle under next st as if to purl and slip to right needle.
- sl 1 pw wyif – slip 1 st purlwise with yarn in front – Bring yarn to front as if to purl. Insert right needle under next st as if to purl and slip to right needle. Return yarn to back.
- Carry unworked color up side of project. Be sure to carry yarn for slip stitches and up rows loosely to avoid puckering.
- For a scrappy version, use one as CA, and alternate colors for Rows 1-2 and 5-6 throughout.
- A video tutorial is available at the end of the pattern.
- Pattern repeat is any multiple of 4 sts, + 5. Instructions do not include side borders.
- With CA, CO 37 sts (or any multiple of 4 sts, + 5 for the edge).
- Border Row 1: With CA, k across.
- Border Row 2: With CA, p across.
- Border Rows 3 & 4: Rep Border Rows 1 & 2.
Ribbon Stitch pattern
- Row 1: With CB, k1, *k3, sl 1 pw wyib; rep from * across to last 4 sts, k4.
- Row 2: With CB, k4, *sl 1 pw wyif, k3; rep from * across to last st, k1.
- Row 3: With CA, k across.
- Row 4: With CA, p across.
- Row 5: With CB, k1, *k1, sl 1 pw wyib, k2; rep from * across .
- Row 6: With CB, *k2, sl 1 pw wyif, k1; rep from * across to last st, k1.
- Rows 7 & 8: Rep Rows 3 & 4 once.
- Rep Rows 1-8 until approximately 7.5” (19 cm) long, ending after Row 4. Fasten off CB.
- With CA, rep Border Rows 1-4.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 1. Fasten off CA.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
© 2017 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2017/07/06/knitting-pattern-ribbon-stitch-dishcloth. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Watch the video tutorial below. If you can’t see the video, click here to watch it on YouTube.