I’m so excited to introduce Olena Huffmire. Olena is a talented crochet and knitting designer that will be contributing several designs to the blog over the coming months. Olena has designed this fun Slouchy Beanie exclusively for Underground Crafter readers, so read on for the crochet pattern! If you’re more of a visual learner, she’s also included a video tutorial.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
About Olena Huffmire
Olena Huffmire of olenahuffmire.com designs knit and crochet baby and pet patterns that are available as PDF downloads. She also provides How To video tutorials on her YouTube channel, Olena Huffmire Designs.
Olena partners with Jennifer Giordano, her lactation consultant, to have 10% of her sales go to Latch With Love, supporting the women who NEED but cannot afford a breastfeeding consultation. If you or someone you know is looking for support with breastfeeding, Jenn has support groups for babies through toddler in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY.
Show your support by visiting Olena at one of the following links:
Slouchy Beanie, or How to Crochet a Slouch Hat
Crochet Pattern by Olena Huffmire Designs
It’s back to school time. Are you ready for fall? In this post, I show you how to make a baggy beanie, with my best beanie crochet pattern.
You can call this a floppy beanie, a loose beanie, or a hipster beanie. This crochet slouchy beanie is for women and great for beginners. This pattern may be good for men’s slouchy beanie hats if you use a larger hook.
Also, craft fair season is upon us so please make this slouch hat for sale! These are perfect women’s winter hats.
If you’d like to add an applique to your hat, just add…
- My leaves from the flower/rose video tutorial,
- Mini Sea Star applique, or
- Shell applique (from Shell Headband video).
- Medium Yarn – Caron Simply Soft in Chocolate (A), Sage (B), Dark Country Blue (C), Off White (D), Light Country Peach (E)
- H8/5.00mm Hook
- 21” Circumference
- 14 sts x 9 rs = 4”
- Repeat from [ to ] around
- Ch 2 at beginning of round does not count as a stitch
- Number in parentheses means how many stitches you should have at the end of the round
- A video tutorial is available at the end of the pattern
- Ch – chain
- Dc – double crochet
- Ea – each
- Hdc – half double crochet
- Inc – increase – 2 dc in same st
- Sl st – slip stitch
- St(s) – stitch(es)
Slouchy Beanie Pattern
With chocolate (A):
- 1: Ch 3, 12 dc in 2nd ch from hook (12) join.
- 2: Ch 2, inc in ea st around (24) join.
- 3: Ch 2, [dc in st, inc in the next st] around (36) join.
- 4: Ch 2, [dc in 2 sts, inc in the next st] around (48) join.
- 5: Ch 2, [dc in 3 sts, inc in the next st] around (60) Change to sage (B) join.
- 6: Ch 2, [dc in 4 sts, inc in the next st] around (72) join.
- 7-20: Ch 2, dc in ea next st around (72) join. Continue changing the remaining colors (C) and (D) every 5 rounds.
- Change color to Light Country Peach (E)
- 21-26: Ch 1, hdc around (72) join.
- Fasten off, weave in ends.
Ideas – using this pattern, you can:
- Switch colors every other row or every 2 rows
- Change the brim color
- Interchange every other dc row with a sc row to make a skull beanie instead of a slouchy hat
- Hat Option 1 – One round black, one round grey. Red brim.
- Hat Option 2 – Two rounds white, two rounds black. Gold brim.
- Hat Option 3 – Two rounds gold, two rounds light brown, two rounds burgundy, two rounds purple, two rounds dark purple. Gold brim.
- Hat Option 4 – Take your purple/lavender yarn scraps, add gold and white, with white brim.
Email me a photo of your finished work or post using #olenahuffmiredesigns!
Create, Share, Make Memories
© 2017 by Olena Huffmire (Olena Huffmire Designs) and published with permission by Underground Crafter. This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Olena’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2017/09/15/crochet-pattern-slouchy-beanie-by-olena-huffmire-designs. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Can’t make the Slouchy Beanie right now?
- Save the video tutorial on YouTube
- Pin it for later! See Olena’s Pinterest board
- Favorite or add it to your queue on Ravelry!
Thank you, Olena, for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! Show your support by visiting Olena at one of the following links: