I’m excited to share another beautiful design from guest contributor, Julie Muenster from J Crochet. The Renee Hat features a simple stitch pattern that is made stunning by the use of a colorful yarn. This pattern is available for free here on the blog in its written format, or follow the links to buy an ad-free PDF with written and international stitch symbol diagram instructions.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
About Julie Muenstser
Julie learned to crochet as a child. Her mother taught her the basics, and her grandmother taught her how to read a pattern. She can be found crocheting in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, before school band concerts, at the Fire Museum, and during boring meetings. Julie is the designer and maker behind J Crochet.
Show your support by following Julie on:
Crochet Pattern by J Crochet
- This pattern uses American crochet terms.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue or favorites.
- Buy the ad-free PDF, including written instructions and line-by-line international stitch symbol diagrams, on Etsy or Julie’s website.
- 5 V-stitches = 4 inches (10 cm)
- Circumference: About 20″ (51 cm)
- Length: 7.75″ (20 cm)
Level of difficulty:
- Crochet hook: H hook (5 mm)
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarn Landscapes, Medium 4 weight, 100% acrylic, 1 skein. Color: Desert Spring
- Tapestry needle optional (for weaving in ends)
- bpdc – back post double crochet – A tutorial for this stitch is available here.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- psc – picot single crochet – This adds a short chain in the middle of a single crochet, making a tiny bobble. Insert hook into designated st, yo, draw loop through, [yo, draw through 1 loop] 2x, yo, draw through both loops on hook.
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch/stitches
- tog – together
- V st – V stitch – (dc, ch 1, dc) in same stitch
- yo – yarn over
- x times (as in 2x = two times)
Notes on Sizing Hats:
- Sizing hats can be tricky! Check the diameter after round 9. The circumference should be about 20″ (51 cm) and the length about 6.25″ (16 cm). If yours varies significantly, the difference may be due to:
- Yarn: Not all weight 4 yarns are the same. You may get different results with different brands and even with different colors within the same brand.
- Tension: Yours may differ from mine.
- Change hook size OR
- For larger circumference, do additional increases in rounds 4 & 5.
- For a longer hat (or slouchy look), repeat round 6 desired number of times.
- If you have questions, please feel free to email me (jcrochetco AT gmail DOT com) or ask on the J Crochet Facebook page.
- NOTE: First V st in each round is made up of 3 ch, dc in same sp. I use 2 ch to stand in for the first dc rather than the traditional 3 because it makes for less of a gap; the additional ch is for the ch sp (for a total of 3 ch).
- Note from Underground Crafter: Oombawka Design has a great magic circle (or magic ring) tutorial here.
- Round 1: Start with magic circle, ch 3, [dc, ch 1] 11x, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 dc & 12 ch sp)
- Round 2: Sl st in ch sp, [V st in ea ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 V st)
- Round 3: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same sp, [2 V st in next ch sp, V st in next ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (18 V sts)
- Round 4: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same ch sp, V st in same ch sp, V st in ea of next 5 ch sp, [2 V st in ch sp, V st in ea of next 5 ch sp] 2x, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (21 V sts)
- Round 5: Sl st in ch sp, V st in first four ch sp, [2 V in next ch, V st in next 6 st] 2x, V st in next 2 ch sp, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (24 V sts)
- Rounds 6-10: Sl st in ch sp, V st in each ch sp, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (24 V sts)
- Round 1: Ch 1, sc in same st and in next 9 st (working in both dc and ch sp), sc next two st tog, [sc in next 10 st, sc two st tog] around, sl st in first sc. (66 sc)
- Round 2: Ch 2, bpdc in same st, bpdc in ea st around, sl st in top of first dc. (66 dc)
- Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st and next st, psc in next st, [ch 2, psc in next st] around, sl st in first sc. (66 sc)
- Round 4: Ch 1, hdc in same st and next 8 st, hdc next 2 st tog, [hdc in next 9 st, hdc next 2 st tog] around, sl st to top of first hdc. (60 hdc)
- Round 5: Ch 1, hdc in back loop only of same st, hdc in back loop only of ea st around. (60 hdc)
- Fasten off. Weave in ends.
© 2017 by Julie Muenster (J Crochet) and published with permission by Underground Crafter. This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Julie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2017/12/19/crochet-pattern-renee-hat-by-j-crochet. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Thank you, Julie, for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! Show your support by visiting Julie at one of the following links: