I’m so excited to introduce the first CAL Central crochet along of 2018: the New Year, New Skill CAL. If your New Year’s resolutions include improving your crochet skills, then you’ve come to the right place. Learn or master 9 crochet stitches and techniques while working through free crochet patterns by 9 designers and chatting with other crocheters in our groups. (You can find last year’s New Year, New Skill patterns here.)
This post includes affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
How the 2018 New Year, New Skill CAL Works
Every Monday from January 15 through March 12, 2018, we’ll highlight a different crochet technique or skill with free crochet patterns! You can expand your crochet abilities while making awesome projects.
Denise Interchangeable Knitting and Crochet, Lion Brand, and Search Press North America have generously provided us with prizes for this CAL. Share your completed project pictures in this post (below the schedule) by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, March 17, 2018 to enter for your chance to win!
How To Join the 2018 New Year, New Skill CAL
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentral on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 9 awesome projects. Learn new stitches and techniques while having fun with us!
Scroll down below the schedule to learn more about the prizes and enter the end-of-CAL giveaway!
2018 New Year, New Skill CAL Schedule
Be sure to visit the participating designers so you can get first notification of new patterns. These links will be updated throughout the CAL to direct you to the pattern. Each pattern will also be shared in the CAL Central Crochet Facebook and Ravelry groups.
- January 15: Moss Stitch Hat (Pattern 1/Tunisian Crochet) by Underground Crafter
- January 22: Double Magic Ring tutorial with Small Catch All Basket (Pattern 2/Magic Ring) by Oombawka Design
- January 29: Post Stitch Cables with Cabled Ear Warmers (Post Stitch Cables/Pattern 3) by Jessie At Home
- February 5: Broomstick Lace Pouch (Broomstick Lace/Pattern 4) by The Stitchin’ Mommy
- February 12: Vintage Lace Shells Slouchy (Shell Stitch/Pattern 5) by American Crochet
- February 19: Waterlily Waltz Headband (Waistcoat Stitch/Pattern 6) by Kirsten Holloway Designs
- February 26: Smoother Edges for a Square (Pattern 7) by Creative Crochet Workshop
- March 5: Spiked Watermelon Wrist Warmers (Spike Stitch/Pattern 8) by Goddess Crochet
- March 12: Flowers (Bobbles, Popcorns, and Puffs/Pattern 9) by Blackstone Designs
- March 17: Deadline to share completed project pictures (below) to enter the end-of-CAL giveaway
2018 New Year, New Skill CAL Giveaways!
It’s always more fun to learn when prizes are involved, don’t you think? Three companies have contributed six prizes for our end-of-CAL giveaway. With each CAL project you finish, you’ll have a chance to win one of these prizes.
- Denise Interchangeable Knitting and Crochet is providing a Denise2Go Complete Set, including 12 crochet hooks from U.S. size F/5 (3.75 mm) to U.S. Size 19 (15 mm), 7 cords, 4 end buttons, and 2 extenders, for one lucky winner. These hooks are great for all your crochet needs, including Tunisian crochet.
- Lion Brand is providing prizes for four winners.
- Two sets of U.S. Size 50 (25 mm) Speed Stix knitting needles, which are perfect for broomstick lace crochet and
- Two sets of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn, which is enough to make the Moss Stitch Hat
- Show your support by following Lion Brand on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
- Search Press North America is providing one winner with a copy of The Crochet Workshop by Emma Osmond.
We hope you’ll join us for this CAL because it’s going to be a lot of fun. If you’d like to follow along, feel free to copy and use our button below and to tag your projects with #CALCentral on all social media. Scroll down to enter the giveaway!
2018 New Year, New Skill CAL Giveaway!
- To enter the end-of-CAL giveaway for your chance to win one of the prizes listed above, share share a picture of your completed New Year, New Skill CAL projects using the link up below by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, March 17, 2018.
- You may share one picture of each project you complete using a New Year, New Skill CAL 2018 pattern. Each completed project will count as one entry in the giveaway.
- You are not required to use a link to enter, but if you do, please link directly to the Ravelry project page, Instagram photo, or blog post, not to your main blog or profile. (If you’re new to InLinkz linkups, you can find a tutorial here.)
- Six giveaway winners will be chosen from these entries at random. Each will win one of the end-of-CAL giveaway prizes.
- Don’t forget to join the fun in our Facebook and Ravelry groups, too! You can share as many pictures as you like in the groups, but only pictures submitted here will be entered in the giveaways.
[clickToTweet tweet=”I just entered the New Year, New Skill #Crochet Along 2018 #giveaway with #CALCentral – 9 free crochet patterns by 9 designers – Learn or master different crochet skills and stitches! With prizes from Denise Interchangeables, @LionBrandYarn, @SearchPressNA” quote=”I just entered the New Year, New Skill #Crochet Along 2018 #giveaway with #CALCentral – 9 free crochet patterns by 9 designers – Learn or master different crochet skills and stitches! With prizes from Denise Interchangeables, @LionBrandYarn, @SearchPressNA”]