If you love starting your granny squares with circles, then today’s Granny Square Month roundup is for you! I’ve searched the internet for sixteen fabulous free crochet patterns for circle-in-a-square motifs by top designers.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and are used with permission.
16 Free Crochet Patterns for Circle-in-a-Square Motifs
Roundup by Underground Crafter
- Sarah Circle in a Square by American Crochet: This pattern is part of the 2018 Squaring the Circle Crochet Along.
- Beach Ball Square by StitchesNScraps: This fun block was part of Moogly’s 2017 Afghan Crochet Along.
- Layered Dahlia Afghan Square by Persia Lou: This pattern includes row-by-row progress pictures.
- Concentric Circles Granny Square by Underground Crafter: This pattern meets the donation requirements for Knit-A-Square, an organization that distributes crochet and knit blankets (made from 8”/20 cm squares), hats, and toys to children in South Africa.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Flower Garden Square X by Margaret Hubert: This pattern was originally published in Granny Square Flower Garden: Instructions for Blanket with Choice of 12 Squares.
- Carousel Square by Raising Robertsons: This pattern was part of the 2015 Mystery Lapghan Crochet-a-Long.
- Catherine Wheel by Val Pierce: This pattern was originally published in Crocheted Granny Squares: 20 On the Go Projects.
- Samudra Afghan Square by Creative Crochet Workshop: This pattern is part of the 2018 Crochet A Block Afghan Crochet Along.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Circle in the Square Potholder by Underground Crafter: This pattern includes instructions for crocheting it as a granny square without the hanging loop.
- Sunflower Harvest Square by Recrochetions: This beautiful floral block was part of Moogly’s 2017 Afghan Crochet Along.
- Dream Circle 12” Square and Mandala by Pink Mambo: This pattern was part of Moogly’s 2015 Afghan Crochet Along.
- Tuscan Flower Square by The Lavender Chair: This pattern includes row-by-row progress photos.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Snow Queen 12” Afghan Square by Designs by Muggins: This lace-centered square would make a beautiful blanket.
- Emoji Granny Square by Sewrella: This pattern includes a photo tutorial and is part of a celebration of Anti-Boredom Month.
- May Flowers Granny Square by The Unraveled Mitten: This pattern is a great scrap buster.
- Berry Giving Granny Square by YARNutopia: This pattern includes a video tutorial and is part of Nadia’s 365 Days of Granny Squares project.