We had so much fun last year during Granny Square Month that I knew I’d have to make it an annual tradition on Underground Crafter! During June, I’ll be highlighting granny squares every day by sharing a post about grannies, including free crochet patterns, granny square book reviews, giveaways, tips, tutorials, and roundups. Hopefully, all of this granny square love will keep you inspired all summer long!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
What is a granny square anyway?
Last year, I shared that the traditional granny square pattern originated in the 1890s in a printed leaflet by Weldon and Company of London. Technically, this is the only pattern that “qualifies” to be called a granny square, while other crochet patterns for squares are really motifs, or blocks, and not “grannies.”
But it’s more fun to be inclusive, isn’t it? I consider any crocheted motif (regardless of the shape) as well as “granny stitch” and “granny stripe” patterns in my definition of what can be included in Granny Square Month. That should keep things interesting for 30 days!
How to join in on the Granny Square Month fun
- Follow along here on Underground Crafter. I’ll update this post with links to other posts throughout the month.
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get a weekly collection of links in your inbox! (You also get other goodies, including a coupon code good for your choice of crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop.)
- Chat with other crocheters in the Facebook or Ravelry groups.
- Tag your granny square patterns with #grannysquaremonth on social media. If you use one of my patterns or tutorials, tag me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter.
- Let your crochet friends know about it! Share this post on your favorite social network or give out the link to this post ( ) in your local yarn shop, crochet guild, or craft night.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”It’s the second annual #GrannySquareMonth on Underground Crafter! #Crochet patterns, tips, tutorials, #giveaways, & more!” quote=”It’s the second annual #GrannySquareMonth on Underground Crafter! #Crochet patterns, tips, tutorials, #giveaways, & more!”]
Granny Square Month 2018 Schedule
I’ll be updating this list throughout the month to include the links as new posts go live. These links will remain up after Granny Square Month so you can come back and use this page as a resource.
- June 1: Introduction to Granny Square Month (you are here!)
- June 2: Roundup: 20 Stunning Premium Granny Crochet Patterns + 10 Pattern and Yarn Kits
- June 3: Book Review with Giveaway: Motif Afghans by Candi Jensen
- June 4: Crochet Pattern: Double Irish Chain Granny Square Blanket
- June 5: Crochet Pattern: Triangle Lap Blanket with Book Review of Granny Squares & Shapes by Sue Pinner
- June 6: Roundup: 9 Free Crochet Circle Patterns
- June 7: Roundup: 12 Free Crochet Patterns for Blankets Made From Squares
- June 8: Crochet Pattern: Rose granny square with Book Review of Granny Square Flowers by May Corfield
- June 9: Crochet Patterns: Motif 2 and granny square Skirt with Book Review of Crochet Blocks: 60 Easy-to-Make Motifs & 15 Stunning Projects by Agnieszka Strycharska
- June 10: Book Review with Giveaway: Grannies Gone Wild
- June 11: Roundup: 14 Free Granny-Inspired Crochet Patterns for Women’s Accessories
- June 12: Roundup: 9 Free Crochet Granny Square Patterns for Your Home
- June 13: Roundup: 20 Free Crochet Patterns for Continuous Motif Blankets
- June 14: Crochet Pattern: Gift Pocket Red Panda
- June 15: Book Review with Giveaway: Scrappy Afghans
- June 16: Crochet Pattern: Panda Comforter (Lovey) with Book Review of Granny Squares Weekend: 20 Quick and Easy Crochet Projects by Emma Varnam
- June 17: Book Review with Giveaway: 10 Granny Squares 30 Bags by Margaret Hubert
- June 18: Crochet Pattern: Bobble Berry Washcloth
- June 19: Roundup: 16 Free Crochet Patterns for Circle-in-a-Square Motifs
- June 20: Book Review with Giveaway: Mindful Mandala Afghans
- June 21: Book Review with Giveaway: 200 Stitch Patterns for Baby Blankets
- June 22: Book Review with Giveaway: 10 Granny Squares 30 Blankets by Margaret Hubert
- June 23: Crochet Pattern: Petal Mandala with Book Review of and Giveaway for Crochet Yourself Calm: 50 Motifs & 15 Projects for Mindful Relaxation by Carmen Heffernan
- June 24: Book Review with Giveaway: Grannies in Bloom
- June 25: Roundup: 9 Free Crochet Patterns for Triangle Projects
- June 26: Crochet Pattern: Granny Chevron Wrap
- June 27: Roundup: 12 Free Crochet Hexagon Patterns
- June 28: Roundup: 27 Free Crochet Border Patterns
- June 29: Crochet Pattern: Solid Granny Hexagon
- June 30: Roundup: 15 Free Crochet Patterns for 12″ (30.5 cm) Squares
Thanks for being part of Granny Square Month! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.
21 thoughts on “It’s Time for the Second Annual Granny Square Month!”
Awesome! I love the granny stitch, but I don’t enjoy making lots of small squares. Thus, I love to make one large granny square as lap blankets.