This is the fifth in a series of 12 weeks of roundups for the handmade holidays! I’m sharing 20 free patterns and tutorials for gloves and mittens (and fingerless gloves and mitts), including ten crochet patterns, eight knitting patterns, and two sewing tutorials. This roundup includes projects mittens and gloves for infants, kids, and adults.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
20 Handmade Mitten and Glove Patterns and Tutorials To Make Great Gifts
Roundup by Underground Crafter
2 Free Sewing Tutorials
Both of these low-sew projects can be fitted to make custom gifts. Shown from left to right.
- Warm Woolen Mittens by Doodlecraft: This tutorial shows how to sew mittens that are customized for your hand size.
- Fleece Mittens for the Winter Blues by Doodlecraft: This tutorial shows how to sew customized mittens for kids include an elastic band.
8 Free Knitting Patterns
These projects include gloves, mittens, and fingerless mitts, as well as a set with a matching beret.
- Roman Holiday Fingerless Mitts by Organic Stills for FaveCrafts: These cabled mitts make a great quick gift project.
- Coastal Gloves by Caitlin ffrench: These long fingerless gloves are a dramatic accessory.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Printers Row Mitts by Stitches n Scraps: This pattern for striped fingerless mitts includes a photo tutorial.
- Stripey Mitts by Jessie At Home: These colorful fingerless mitts are a great way to practice the join-as-you-go method.
- Jeans and Old Lace by Knitting and so on: These elegant fingerless mitts are designed using instarsia in the round and include helpful progress photos.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Wicked Mittens by Rita Taylor for FaveCrafts: These intricate, two-color mittens include charts and written instructions.
- Boucle Mittens and Matching Beret by Yarnspirations for FaveCrafts: The yarn used for this set has been discontinued, but you can find a list of substitutes here on YarnSub.
- Marty Hat and Baby Mittens by Marianna’s Lazy Daisy Days: This set is available in preemie and newborn sizes.
10 Free Crochet Patterns
These patterns include three mittens included in sets with matching hats. Shown clockwise from upper left corner.
- Striped Fingerless Gloves by Berta Gilholm for FaveCrafts: These fingerless gloves in medium weight yarn include instructions for adjusting to a larger or smaller size.
- Totally Teen Fingerless Gloves by Goddess Crochet: These easy fingerless gloves work up quickly in a super bulky yarn.
- Easy-On Mittens by Oombawka Design: These buttoned mittens are available in four child and adult sizes.
- La Chocolatière Mitts by Knitting and so on: These fingerless mitts have a beautiful ripple pattern.
- Autumn Amore Mittens by Moogly: These three-color mittens are available in three sizes and are part of the Autumn Amore Crochet Along, which includes four free crochet patterns.
- Neva Mittens by Whistle and Ivy: This crochet fair isle pattern matches the free Neva Hat pattern.
- Slight Trail Men’s Gloves by Linda Dean Crochet: These cozy gloves include instructions for optional texting thumbs.
- Snowball Mittens by Left in Knots: This pattern is designed to match the Snowball Slouch Hat and includes a video tutorial.
- Kiddie Wristers by Goddess Crochet: These fingerless gloves are striped in Cat in the Hat colors.
- Mosaic Lattice Mittens by KatiDCreations: These colorful mittens are available in several child and adult sizes.