I’m so excited to announce that I’m part of the Peek Into Batiks Monthly Quilt Along with Michael Miller Fabrics! I hope you’ll be joining me for this fun quilt along to make a beautiful sampler quilt with several fabric cutting options. This post has all the information you’ll need to get started and participate throughout the year. Join the Peek Into Batiks Monthly Quilt Along to make your first quilt — or your next quilt!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am 2020 Brand Ambassador for Michael Miller Fabrics and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration. Additional materials for this post were generously provided by AccuQuilt.
This is my main post for this quilt along. Read on for more details including:
- About the Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along,
- How the Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Works,
- Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Required Tools and Materials,
- How To Join the Peek Into Batiks QAL, and
- Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Schedule.
About the Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along
If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you may have noticed this update a few weeks ago. I’m thrilled to announce that I’m a Michael Miller Fabrics Brand Ambassador for 2020! I absolutely love their fabrics, and it’s a local New York City company staffed by amazing people. What could be better? (Side note: I actually visited their offices earlier this week, and I’ll be sharing some really fun pictures in an upcoming blog post.)
A few weeks ago, I received a delightful welcome box from Michael Miller Fabrics filled with awesome goodies.
It’s cool to be a Brand Ambassador, but it’s even more fun to have a great project to work on together! That’s why I’m really excited to be part of their year-long sampler quilt along, Peek Into Batiks.
If you know me, you know I LOVE batik fabrics. (If you’re new to batiks, this article from American Patchwork & Quilting explains what they are and gives great tips for using batiks in sewing projects.) When I saw these batiks in the box, I was so excited.
How beautiful are these colors and patterns? Also, did you notice the black fabric on the right? Besides making gorgeous, high quality fabrics, Michael Miller Fabrics also has the blackest black fabric you will find.
The finished quilt is stunning, too. Full disclosure: I did not make the pictured quilt. Like you, I’ll be participating in this quilt along. Each month, a new block is available and that will give us plenty of time to finish each block and to piece together and finish the quilt.
Whether you’re a brand new quilter wanting to get more techniques under your belt, or an established quilter working on several projects right now, I hope you’ll join us for this fun quilt along!
How the Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Works
On the last Friday of each month in 2020, a new block pattern will be posted on the Michael Miller Fabrics blog. I’ll update the schedule on this blog post (see below) with each link as it goes live. Each month, one of the Brand Ambassadors will share their version of the quilt block and invite you (virtually, of course) into their sewing room!
The Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along is made up of 12 sampler blocks, so you’ll have the chance to try out different techniques and piecing methods. Each block will include cutting instructions using both the AccuQuilt GO! Qube Mix & Match 8″ Block and a rotary cutter. If you’re new to the AccuQuilt GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System, not to worry! I’ll be learning to use it along side you.
Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Required Tools and Materials
To make the completed quilt, here are the fabrics you’ll need. You can buy Michael Miller Fabrics through your local quilt shop, or online at Amazon.
If you plan to use an AccuQuilt fabric cutting system for faster and more accurate cuts while reducing strain on your arms and back, we’ll be using the AccuQuilt GO! Qube Mix & Match 8″ Block. (Again, full disclosure: I didn’t make the finished quilt in the picture below! My fabric isn’t even cut yet!)
Alternatively, you can opt to use a rotary cutter, acrylic ruler, and cutting mat to cut your fabric. If you are new to quilting, I recommend an OLFA 45 mm rotary cutter, which is the right size for cutting through up to 8 layers of cotton fabric. OLFA recently did research to prove that you can cut 470 more yards of fabric when you combine an OLFA rotary cutter with an OLFA self-healing mat (compared to cutting on another brand’s mat).
How To Join the Peek Into Batiks QAL
- You can join in by sewing along with each block of this sampler quilt as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished blocks. Tag your projects and posts @michaelmillerfabrics, #michaelmillerfabrics, #makingitfun, and #peekintobatics on all social media. If you’re using your AccuQuilt GO! fabric cutting system, be sure to tag them, too, at @AccuQuilt and #AccuQuilt. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other quilters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group. You can also sign up for my newsletter here if you want to get an email reminder when new blocks are posted.
- By the end of the QAL, you’ll have your own beautiful quilt to display or cuddle up underneath.
- Use the button below on social media to let people know you are joining in. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Peek Into Batiks Quilt Along Schedule
The Peek Into Batiks Monthly Quilt Along makes a sampler quilt using Michael Miller Fabrics and your choice of the AccuQuilt GO! fabric cutting system or a rotary blade, cutting mat, and acrylic ruler. This schedule will be updated throughout the quilt along as new posts and blocks are released.
- January 31: Peek Into Batiks Monthly Quilt Along kick off with fabric requirements and pattern for Block #1 with additional block patterns added on the dates listed below
- February 28: Block #2 and Visit Peace, Love, and Happiness with Mel Beach Quilts
- March 27: Block #3 and Visit Sewn Up with Teresa Down Under
- April 24: Block #4 and Visit Quilt n Party
- May 29: Block #5 and Visit RuthAndEsther
- June 26: Block #6 and Visit Sarah Ann Smith
- July 31: Pattern for Block #7, Visit Material Girlfriends
- August 28: Pattern for Block #8, Visit Charisma’s Corner
- September 25: Pattern for Block #9, Visit Beaquilter
- October 30: Pattern for Block #10, Visit Underground Crafter
- November 27: Pattern for Block #11, Visit LeeLee Quilts
- December 18: Pattern for Block #12 and finishing instructions, Visit schnitzel & boo