Things have been unusual, to say the least, for the past few weeks, and many of us are turning to crochet to keep ourselves busy or for stress relief. I decided to put together a crochet along for one of my favorite types of projects to make — simple triangular shawls. Each of these triangular shawl patterns can be made with any weight of yarn and customized to your favorite size.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
This is the main post for the Choose Your Destination Triangular Shawl Crochet Along. Read on for more details including:
- How the Choose Your Destination Crochet Along Works,
- How To Join the Choose Your Destination CAL,
- Choose Your Destination Crochet Along Schedule, and
- Choose Your Destination CAL End-of-CAL Giveaway.
How the Choose Your Destination Crochet Along Works
Every Thursday from March 19 to April 8, 2020, I’ll share a free crochet pattern for a triangular shawl that you can make using any yarn weight with an appropriate hook, and that you can customize to your favorite length/wingspan.
The four triangular shawl patterns were originally published in I Like Crochet as part of the seasonal shawl series. Each pattern was made with a different yarn weight to represent the different seasons. Since many of us are unable to travel right now, I thought it would be fun to share the patterns as freebies. While each pattern can be made with any weight of yarn and an appropriate size hook, your yarn requirements may be different if you are changing the yarn weight from the one listed in the pattern. You can decide if you want to make your shawls heavier, lighter, lacier, or denser. That’s why I’m calling this crochet along “Choose Your Own Destination” — you get to decide where your shawl will end up!
How To Join the Choose Your Destination CAL
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcraftercrochetalong on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group, or head over to this thread in the Underground Crafters Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 4 different shawls, along with some extra freebies I’ll be sharing along the way.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Choose Your Destination Crochet Along Schedule
This list will be updated during the CAL to include links to each pattern as it is released for free.
- March 19: Announcement and End-of-CAL Giveaway Information (you are here).
- March 19: Pattern 1: Maia Triangular Shawl (Spring Shawl)
- Materials list: 350 yd (320 m) in MC and 80 yd (73 m) in CC in any light medium (#3/#4) weight yarn, US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, stitch markers, yarn needle.
- Week 1 Bonus Pattern: Get the PDF version of the Fire and Ice Shawl for free on Ravelry with coupon code CYD-1 through 11:59 p.m. Eastern on March 25, 2020.
- March 26: Pattern 2: Endless Summer Shawlette (Summer Shawl)
- Materials list: 445 yd (407 m) in any super fine (#1) weight yarn, US Size E-4/3.5 mm crochet hook, stitch markers, yarn needle.
- Week 2 Bonus Pattern: Get the PDF version of the Simple Lace Isosceles Shawl or Scarf for free on Ravelry with coupon code CYD-Summer through 11:59 p.m. Eastern on April 1, 2020.
- April 2: Pattern 3: Autumn Nights Shawl (Autumn Shawl)
- Materials list: 470 yd (430 m) in MC and 225 yd (245 m) in any light (#3) weight yarn, US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, stitch markers, yarn needle.
- Week 3 Bonus Pattern: Get the PDF version of the A Cold Snap Shawlette for free on Ravelry with coupon code CYD-Cold through 11:59 p.m. Eastern on April 8, 2020.
- April 9: Pattern 4: Quick and Easy Shawl (Winter Shawl)
- Materials list: 345 yd (31.5 m) in MC and 105 yd (96 m) in CC in any bulky (#5) weight yarn, US Size L-11/8 mm crochet hook, stitch markers, yarn needle.
- Week 4 Bonus Pattern: Get the PDF version of Hug for a Long Commute for free on Ravelry with coupon code CYD4 through April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Crochet at your own pace.
- April 16, 2020: Deadline for entering the end-of-CAL giveaways (see below for more details and to enter).
Choose Your Destination CAL End-of-CAL Giveaway
This is an impromptu crochet along so I didn’t have time to get prize giveaway sponsors. I know crochet alongs are more fun with prizes, so here is how the giveaway will work.
- Each week, there will be a coupon code for a bonus pattern so you can download an ad-free PDF of another triangular shawl pattern for free. Yay, everyone’s a winner! These codes will be posted in the CAL schedule above.
- Participate in the CAL in my Facebook and Ravelry groups for the chance to win digital prizes such as free patterns and e-books. To enter those giveaways, share your work in progress (WIP) and finished project pictures in this post in the Underground Crafters Facebook group, or in this thread in the Underground Crafters Ravelry group by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on April 16, 2020. Winners will be chosen from the entries at random and contacted through Facebook or Ravelry. If you do not use Facebook or Ravelry and would like to participate in the giveaway,