The Sleepy Crescent Moon is a crochet moon pillow pattern that you can use as a neck pillow during road trips, or as a decorative pillow for a nursery. The sleepy eyelid is perfect for welcoming gentle dreams.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
I’ve mentioned many times before that I Like Crochet is my favorite digital crochet magazine. And, yes, I might be biased because I’ve had almost two dozens patterns published in its various issues, but I don’t think so!
Last year, the editors were looking for a moon travel pillow, and here’s what I came up with. I used Red Heart Soft yarn because I wanted something that wouldn’t be itchy against the neck.
My favorite detail is the embroidered eyelid. I only did mine on one side, but of course it would be reversible if you embroidered both sides so I’ve included enough yardage in the yarn requirements for you to do that if you’d like. If you’re new to embroidery, or your skills are rusty, I’ve linked up a video tutorial to help you out.
If you make your own Sleepy Crescent Moon, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add Sleepy Crescent Moon to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Sleepy Crescent Moon
Crochet Moon Pillow Pattern by Underground Crafter
This waxing crescent moon pillow is perfect for catching some ZZZs during your next trip, or to use as décor in a nursery. This pattern was originally published in I Like Crochet.
- Approximately 14” (35.5 cm) tall x 5” (13 cm) wide before stuffing.
- Red Heart Soft yarn (100% acrylic, 5 oz/141 g, 256 yd/234 m) – 1 skein each in 4601 Off White (CA) and 9518 Teal (CB), or approximately 200 yd (183 m) in CA and 5 yd (4.5 m) in CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Fairfield World Poly-Fil Premium Fiber Fill – 20 ounce bag.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch markers.
- 20 sc = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not required for this pattern. Stitches should be small so fiber filling doesn’t show.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color C
- ch – chain
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease) – [Insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook. Whistle and Ivy has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- This pillow is made with simple increases, seaming, and embroidered details.
- A video tutorial for the backstitch embroidery stitch is available here.
- With CA and beginning at center, ch 46.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, sc in next 45 ch. (45 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, 2 sc in each of first 3 sts, sc in each st across to last 3 sts, 2 sc in each of last 3 sts. (51 sts)
- Row 3: Rep Row 2. (57 sts)
- Row 4: Rep Row 2. (63 sts)
- Row 5: Rep Row 2. (69 sts)
- Row 6: Rep Row 2. (75 sts)
- Row 7: Rep Row 2. (81 sts)
- Row 8: Rep Row 2. (87 sts)
- Row 9: Rep Row 2. (93 sts)
- Row 10: Turn, ch 1, sc in first 68 sts, sl st in next st, sk 24 sts. (69 sts)
- Row 11: Turn, sl st in first st, sc in next 45 sts, sl st in next st, sk 22 sts.(47 sts)
- Row 12: Turn, sl st in each of first 2 sts, sc in next 43 sts, sl st in next st, sk next st. (46 sts)
- Row 13: Turn, sl st in each of first 2 sts, sc in next 42 sts, sl st in next st, sk next st. (45 sts)
- Row 14: Turn, sl st in each of first 2 sts, sc in next 41 sts, sl st in next st, sk next st. (44 sts)
- Row 15: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 38 sts, sl st in next st, sk 2 sts. (42 sts)
- Row 16: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 34 sts, sl st in next st, sk 3 sts. (38 sts)
- Row 17: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 31 sts, sl st in next st, sk 3 sts. (35 sts)
- Row 18: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 28 sts, sl st in next st, sk 3 sts. (32 sts)
- Row 19: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 25 sts, sl st in next st, sk 3 sts. (29 sts)
- Row 20: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 21 sts, sl st in next 2 sts, sk 3 sts. (26 sts)
- Row 21: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 18 sts, sl st in next 2 sts, sk 3 sts. (23 sts)
- Row 22: Turn, sl st in each of first 3 sts, sc in next 15 sts, sl st in next 2 sts, sk 3 sts. (20 sts)
- Rnd 1: Turn, sc in first 20 sts, turn to work along side of rows, [sc in side of next row, sc in next 3 sts across row] 3 times, [sc in side of next row, sc in next st across row] twice, sc in side of next row, sc in next 22 sts across row, turn to work along shaped edges, sc in side of each of next 5 rows, [sc2tog in side of next 2 rows] twice, sc in side of next row, turn to work along unworked side of foundation chain. Sc in next 45 sts across row, turn to work along shaped edges, sc in side of next row, [sc2tog in side of next 2 rows] twice, sc in side of next 5 rows, turn to work along top rows, sc in next 23 sts, [sc in side of next row, sc in next 3 sts across row] 4 times, place marker.
- Rnd 2: Sc in each st around to marker, move up marker, sl st to join. Fasten off.
- Rep as for Back Panel but do not fasten off.
Sleepy Eye with Eyelashes
- Thread yarn needle with CB. Embroider sleepy eye with eyelashes with backstitch (see Pattern Notes) on Front Panel.
- Fasten off and weave in ends on wrong side of Front Panel.
Assembly and Finishing
- Place Front Panel right side up on top of Back Panel so stitch markers are in same position. Lining up stitches and joining by working through both layers, sc in next 58 sts, 3 sc in corner point, sc in next 8 sts around the edge, stuff corner with fiber filling, sc in next 53 sts, 3 sc in corner point, sc in next 10 stitches, stuff corner with fiber filling, sc in next 24 sts, continuing to stuff as you seam the project together every few rows. Join with sl st to first st.
- Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of pillow.
1 thought on “Crochet Moon Pillow Pattern: Sleepy Crescent Moon”
I love this pillow, it looks very cute and comfortable. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern.