I’m so excited to share today’s crochet square pattern as part of the 2020 Moogly Crochet Along! The name, Lime Sherbet Square, was inspired by the summery yarn colors. (And, yes, I did have to Google whether I should spell it sorbet, sherbert, or sherbet).
Materials for this project were provided by Yarnspirations Red Heart.
Tamara is one of my good crochet buddies and it’s always exciting to be part of her crochet along. You can find more about Moogly’s 2020 Crochet Along here and get links to the rest of the 12″ (30.5 cm) crochet square patterns.
This particular pattern starts with four center squares which are joined to add a little texture and visual interest. Then, finish it up with a border. You can see how Tamara’s version has a completely different look in her chosen colors. If you’d like, you could even add more colors by making each inner square out of two different colors. Find out more about the changes Tamara made to her version here.
If you make your own Lime Sherbet Square, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Lime Sherbet Square to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Lime Sherbet Square
Crochet Square Pattern by Underground Crafter
Cool off with a sweet summer treat! This blanket square is made up of four smaller squares. The whole project is quick to make and portable, perfect summer crocheting. Join together into a bag, pillow, or blanket. This square is part of Moogly’s 2020 Crochet Along.
- 12” (30.5 cm) square.
- Red Heart With Love yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 370 yd/338 m) – 1 skein each in 1932 Minty (CA), 1969 Wintergreen (CB), and 1001 White (CC), or approximately 60 yd (55 m) each in CA and CB and 25 yd (23 m) in CC in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Inner Square = 4.75” (12 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not required for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop in crochet here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- FPdc – front post double crochet – Yo, insert hook from front around back to front of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, [yo and draw through 2 loops] twice. A video tutorial for the FPdc stitch is available below.
If you can’t see the video above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- () Work stitches in parentheses into same stitch or space.
- A helpful tutorial for seaming with slip stitch is available here.
Inner Square A – Make 2
- With CB, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: (RS) Ch 1, 12 dc in ring, join with sl st to first dc. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, starting in same st [dc in next st, FPdc around same st] around, join with sl st to first dc. (24 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, starting in same st [dc in next 2 sts, FPdc around FPdc from previous round] around, join CA with sl st to BL of first dc. Fasten off CB. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, starting in same st [scBL in next st, ch 1, skip 1 st, scBL in next st, ch 1] around, join with sl st to first sc. (48 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, starting in same st [sc in next st, hdc in skipped st from Rnd 4, sc in next st, 2 sc in next ch-1 sp] around, join with sl st to first sc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, 2 dc in same st, [*dc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 6 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, dc in in next st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st] 3 times, rep from * to ** once, 2 dc in first st, ch 2, join with sl st to first dc. Fasten off CA. (72 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
Inner Square B – Make 2
- Starting with CA, repeat pattern for Inner Square A, changing to CB in Rnd 3 and fastening off CA. Continue through Rnd 6, do not fasten off CB, continue on to Assemble Inner Squares.
Assemble Inner Squares
Join First Row
- With wrong sides together and RS of Inner Square B facing you, align Inner Square A and Inner Square B. Join Inner Square A and B with a slip stitch seam (see Pattern Notes) starting in corner ch-2 sp and working through back loops (positioned in the center as wrong sides are together) of each st across to ch-2 sp, sl st in ch-2 sp, fasten off CB.
Join Second Row
- Repeat as to Join First Row with next pair of Inner Squares A and B.
- Position Rows so that Inner Squares A and B alternate like a checkerboard as shown in picture.
- With wrong sides of Rows together, align Rows. Join Rows with a slip stitch seam starting by joining CB with sl st to any corner ch-2 sp. Work through back loops (positioned in the center as wrong sides are together) of each st across to ch-2 sp, sl st in ch-2 sp twice, continue sl st across row to ch-2 sp, sl st in ch-2 sp, fasten off CB.
- With right side facing, join CC with sl st to any corner ch-2 sp.
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, dc in ch-2 sp, *dc in next 18 sts, [dc in next ch-2 sp] twice, dc in next 18 sts,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, dc in first ch-2 sp, ch 2, join with sl st to first dc, fasten off CC. (160 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 8: Join CA to any corner ch-2 sp with sl st, ch 1, sc in ch-2 sp, *[sc in next st, ch 1, skip 1 st] 20 times,** (sc, ch 2, sc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in first ch-2 sp, ch 2, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off CA. (168 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 9: Join CB to any corner ch-2 sp with sl st, ch 1, 2 sc in ch-2 sp, *sc in next st, [sc in next st, hdc in skipped st from Rnd 8] 20 times, sc in next st,** 3 sc in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in first ch-2 sp, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (180 sts)
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.