Welcome to Week 26 of the Stitch Adventure Blanket! This week, we are working on a variation of the crunch stitch from Week 15. The crunch stitch is one of my favorite alternating stitch patterns.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for this project was generously provided by Paintbox Yarns.
Join the Stitch Adventure Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter to win the end-of-CAL giveaways by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on January 2, 2021) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each section of this crochet sampler blanket as you have time.
- Add the Stitch Adventure Blanket pattern to your Ravelry projects. The ad-free PDF for this project will be free to my newsletter subscribers during the CAL. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of another one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #stitchadventureblanket on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram and Twitter when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have your own beautiful blanket to cuddle up underneath.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Stitch Adventure Blanket 26
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This slight variation of the crunch stitch (week 15) adds a little more texture.
The Stitch Adventure Blanket is a mystery crochet along. Unlock the mystery of this crochet sampler blanket, row by row, on Saturdays in 2020.
- To fit the following U.S. mattress sizes: Twin (Twin XL/Twin Long, Full, Queen, King, California King). Mattress sizes are listed below. Finished blanket size will be larger to include borders.
- Twin (38″ x 75″/96.5 cm x 190.5 cm),
- Twin XL/Long Twin (38″ x 80″/96.5 cm x 203 cm),
- Full (53″ x 75″/134.5 cm x 190.5 cm),
- Queen (60″ x 80″/152.5 cm x 203 cm),
- King (76″ x 80″/193 cm x 203 cm), and
- California King (72″ x 84″/183 cm x 208.5 cm).
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 201 yd/184 m):
- Twin: 17 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 3,330 yards/3,044 meters of any medium weight yarn
- Twin XL/Long Twin: 18 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 3,500 yards/3,200.5 meters of any medium weight yarn
- Full: 24 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 4,810 yards/4,398 meters of any medium weight yarn
- Queen: 28 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 5,550 yards/5,075 meters of any medium weight yarn
- King: 35 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 7,030 yards/6,428 meters of any medium weight yarn
- California King: 37 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 7,400 yards/6,766.5 meters of any medium weight yarn
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 13 dc x 7 rows in double crochet = 4” (10 cm) before blocking. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Stitch Adventure Blanket Pattern Notes
- The Stitch Adventure Blanket is constructed in one piece in rows with borders added in the round. New “clues” will be released on Saturdays during 2020.
- I am using 5 colors for my version of the blanket: Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran yarn in 200 Paper White (CA), 241 Dusty Rose (CB), 245 Pale Lilac (CC), 246 Dusty Lilac (CD), and 247 Pansy Purple (CE). This is a “dye lot” yarn, so be sure to get enough of each color you plan to use so that the colors match. If you substitute a “no dye lot” yarn, the dyes are consistent between batches so you can order additional yarn as needed and the colors will match.
- You can use as many or as few colors as you like for your version. I recommend at least 2 colors to show certain stitch patterns.
- I change colors in the last yarn over (yo) before the next color is used, usually in the last yo of the row.
- Whenever possible, I recommend crocheting over your yarn tails as you work. Sometimes, a stitch pattern will be too lacy to effectively crochet over your yarn tails. In that case, I recommend weaving in ends.
- Because the border will be crocheted in the round over the unworked sides of rows, when changing colors often you can carry your yarn tails up the side of your work. AllFreeCrochet has a helpful video tutorial for carrying your yarn tails up the side of your work here.
- Stitch multiples for individual stitches vary. However, the blanket rows are crocheted in multiples of 24 stitches, + 2 stitches.
- Color changes are only suggestions. You are welcome to change colors more or less often.
- Unless otherwise noted, stitch count remains the same throughout the blanket as your stitch count at the end of Clue 1 Foundation Row – 122 (122, 194, 218, 266, 242 sts).
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop in crochet here.
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
Notes for Part 26
- Color changes are only suggestions. You are welcome to change colors more or less often. For this section, my Color B is Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran yarn in 241 Dusty Rose.
- For Crunch Stitch Variation pattern, repeat Row 1 as desired.
Crunch Stitch Variation (worked over any multiple 2 sts + 2 sts for edge)
- Next Row: Turn, join CB with sl st to first sc, ch 1, hdc in first st, *sl st in next st, hdc in next st; repeat from * across to last st, sl st in next st.
- Row 1: Turn, ch 1, hdc in first sl st, *slstBL in next hdc, hdc in next st; repeat from * across to last st, slstBL in next st.
- Rows 2-5: Rep Row 1, 4 more times.
- All sizes: You have completed Part 26.