This is my fourth and final project for the 2020 Scarf and Hat of the Month Club with Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy. It’s also the fourth of four crochet patterns I’m sharing that you can make with one pack of mini skeins! Ocean Fade is a striped slouchy hat crochet pattern that is so easy peasy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by WeCrochet.
Like the Ocean Fade Scarf, the Ocean Fade Scarf Hat is made using WeCrochet Brava yarn in Mini Packs. Each pack includes 24 mini skeins in different colors. I used 12 colors and an additional skein of Brava Worsted yarn combined for Scarf and Hat set.
I designed this striped slouchy hat crochet pattern to be my preferred amount of slouchy, but if you want to add even more slouch, just continue your repeats of Rounds 3-4 until you reach the desired length.
I’m so excited to be joining my friends for the 2020 Scarf & Hat of the Month Club with The Stitchin’ Mommy and Oombawka Design Crochet. Click on the link to either of their sites to get all 36 free patterns!
If you make your own Ocean Fade Slouchy Hat, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Ocean Fade Slouchy Hat to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Ocean Fade Slouchy Hat
Striped Slouchy Hat Crochet Hat Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple stitch combination creates a gently textured, slouchy beanie. This hat coordinates with the Ocean Waves Scarf. It is a perfect project for mini skeins and is the final of four patterns made from a single WeCrochet Brava yarn Mini Packs with 24 mini skeins of yarn.
- Teen/Adult: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 9” (23 cm) height.
- WeCrochet Brava yarn Mini Packs (100% acrylic, 18 oz/600 g/1308 yd/1196 m) in 28460 Blues – 1 mini skein each in 28413 Black (A), 28435 Hunter (B), 28418 Celestial (C), 28442 Peacock (D), 28450 Silver (E), 28412 Avocado (F), 28454 Tranquil (G), 28443 Peapod (H), 28451 Sky (I), 28438 Mint (J), and 28428 Dove Heather (K), or approximately 26.5 yd (24 m) each in A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, and K in any medium weight yarn.
- WeCrochet Brava Worsted yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/218 yd/200 m) – 1 skein in 28419 Clarity, or approximately 35 yd (32 m) in L in any medium weight yarn. NOTE: I used 1 Brava Mini Pack + 1 skein of Brava Worsted for 4 patterns. If you make all 4, you will need the extra skein of Brava Worsted in Clarity. If you are just making this pattern alone, you will have enough Clarity in the Mini Pack.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 8 sts = 1.75” (4.5 cm) with smaller hook in pattern for Hat Band. For best fit, always check your gauge.
- 14 sts x 12 rows = 4” (10 cm) with larger hook in [sc, dc] alternating pattern. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Hat Band is crocheted flat in rows until it reaches desired hat circumference length. After seaming Hat Band, stitches are picked up along long edge of seamed Hat Band. Hat is worked even in joined rounds, turning each round, and then cinched closed.
- A helpful tutorial for the slip stitch seam is available here.
- Ch 1 at beginning of row or round does not count as a stitch.
- Change colors when joining Rounds with sl st. Carry the unworked yarn along the inside of the hat when not in use. When picking up color, be sure not to pull too tightly or hat will pucker. After color is fastened off, crochet over the yarn tail as you crochet. Fiber Flux has a helpful tutorial explaining how to do this here. For best results, point yarn tail end towards inside of hat.
- A helpful photo tutorial showing how to close a slouchy hat by cinching is available here.
- With L and smaller hook, ch 9 (or any number of sts).
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 8 ch. (8 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, scBL in first st and in each st across.
- Rep Row 2 until Hat Band measures approximately 21” (53.5 cm), or desired hat circumference. Do not fasten off L.
- Fold Hand Band so short edges (foundation row and final row) are touching. Being careful to match up stitches, join with slip stitch seam (see Pattern Notes) through both layers. Do not fasten off. L
Pick Up Stitches
- Set Up Rnd: (RS) Continuing with L and smaller hook, ch 1, work 80 sc (or a multiple of 4 sc) evenly around long edge, change to K while joining with sl st to first sc, fasten off L. (80 sts)
- Switch to larger hook.
- Rnd 1: (RS) Ch 1, starting in same st *sc in next st, dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 2: Turn, ch 1, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; rep from * around, change to J while joining with sl st to first sc, fasten off K.
- Rnd 3: Turn to RS, ch 1, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 4: Turn, ch 1, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; rep from * around, change to I when joining with sl st to first sc, fasten off J.
- Rnds 5-6: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to H when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off I.
- Rnds 7-8: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to G when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off H.
- Rnds 9-10: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to F when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off G.
- Rnds 11-12: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to E when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off F.
- Rnds 13-14: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to D when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off E.
- Rnds 15-16: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to C when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off D.
- Rnds 17-18: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to B when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4fasten off C.
- Rnds 19-20: Rep Rnds 3-4, change to A when joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off B.
- Rnds 21-22: Rep Rnds 3-4, joining with sl st to first sc at end of Rnd 4, fasten off A with long yarn tail (approximately 36”/91.5 cm) for cinching.
- With yarn needle, cinch hat crown closed (see Pattern Notes).
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.