Did you know January 21 is Squirrel Appreciation Day? In celebration, I’ve put together a collection of 16 free crochet squirrel patterns that are sure to delight you. And, because I didn’t want the knitters to feel left out, I added in four free squirrel knitting patterns, too. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
One of the things I used to do more of on Underground Crafter was celebrate the random holidays of the year through roundups or by sharing themed patterns on my Facebook Page. I decided that for 2021, I wanted to get back into this habit. When I discovered Squirrel Appreciation Day, it seemed like the best way to kick it off. According to various sources on the interwebs (but not verified through any independent research of my own), this esteemed holiday was founded in 2001 by Christy Hargrove McKeown, a wildlife rehabilitator that had a (now defunct) blog about squirrels. Besides making your own crochet squirrel project, you can also celebrate by learning more about squirrels from the National Wildlife Federation or learning how to take amazing squirrel photos on Camera Jabber.
20 Squirrel Crochet Patterns
These patterns include amigurumi and rag-doll style crochet squirrel softies, as well as other squirrel-inspired patterns such as blanket squares, mittens, applique, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Hygge Squirrel by Hooked by Kati: This adorable squirrel is the third in an amigurumi woodland creature collection that also include the Hygge Hedgehog and the Hygge Owl.
- Basic Fall Squirrel by Strings Away via AllFreeCrochet: This autumn-themed amigurumi squirrel has its own cup of pumpkin spice latte!
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Cute Squirrel by Hi Sheep via AllFreeCrochet: This kawaii amigurumi squirrel has its own squirrel and a bushy, pom pom tail.
- Woodland Squirrel Granny Square by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This granny square squirrel pattern is one of ten different squares in the Woodland Granny Square Afghan.
- Stanley the Squirrel by Melissa’s Crochet Patterns: This cute little amigurumi squirrel is holding an acorn.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Daniela Squirrel by Paw-Gurumis: This sleepy amigurumi squirrel pattern wears a striped top.
- Squirrel Mittens by Fibre & Folk via AllFreeCrochet: The pattern for pair of knit-look crochet squirrel mittens is available in three sizes from small through large.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Squirrel C2C Square by My Hobby is Crochet: This is the final animal block in the Wildlife Graphghan with 20 squares made using corner-to-corner diagonal box stitch.
- Amigurumi Squirrel Keychain by The Sun and the Turtle via AllFreeCrochet: This teeny project is perfect for amigurumi beginners. It’s embellished with felt pieces.
- Squirrel Applique by Kerri’s Crochet via AllFreeCrochet: This squirrel applique pattern can be added as embellishment to any crochet project including blankets, clothing, bags, and more.
- Little Cube Squirrel by Crafty Bunny Bun: This is a boxy squirrel amigurumi pattern.
- Squirrel Girl by Lattes & Lllamas: This charted pattern for a crochet, knit, or cross stitch square was inspired by the Marvel character as part of the 2017 Geek-a-Long.
- Katsu the Ninja Squirrel by Genuine Mudpie: This amigurumi squirrel has a satchel to carry ninja stars.
- Amigurumi Squirrel Girl by The Sun and the Turtle: This amigurumi doll has a squirrel hat!
- Rag Doll Squirrel by She Makes Crochet: This is part of a series of rag-doll style patterns for animals including a bunny, a bear, and a fox.
- Flying Squirrel Duster by Pierrot Yarns: This dusting mitt is both practical and adorable! (Tip: Click on the “others” category and look for pattern “amicomo10-9” for the English version once you get to the Pierrot website.)
4 Squirrel Knitting Patterns
These knit squirrel patterns include hats, an amigurumi softie, and a square!
- Gray Squirrel Hat by Little Red Window: The 12-month size of this adorable beanie is available as a free pattern.
- Squirrel Square by Daisy and Storm: This squirrel square can be a standalone washcloth or included in a blanket or other motif project.
- Obese Squirrel Ornament by Rosemarsh Knits: This amigurumi critter is stuffed with a ping pong ball.
- Squirrels by Rauna via Knitty: This colorwork squirrel hat pattern is available in 3 sizes from child through adult large.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this collection of crochet squirrel patterns with a few knit ones thrown in for good measure. And, happy Squirrel Appreciation Day!