I’m joining the Sweet Summer Baby Blanket Knit Along with the pattern for the Cables on Seed Stitch Square. This pattern uses a simple cable on a seed stitch background to add lots of texture. This pattern includes a video tutorial for the C4F cable (also known as the 2-2 LC, or the 4-stitch left-leaning cable).
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for this project was generously provided by Vinnis Colours through its distributor, Yarnized. Needles were generously provided by Knitter’s Pride.
This pattern is part of the Sweet Summer Baby Blanket Knit Along with KAL Corner. Follow along and be sure to enter the end-of-KAL giveaway here by Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern. To join the KAL:
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including links to new KAL patterns, each week. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- You can join in by knitting each square as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #KALCorner on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other knitters, join the KAL Corner Facebook group.
- By the end of the KAL, you’ll have up to a beautiful baby blanket to keep, gift, sell, or donate. You’ll also have the chance to win great prizes!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Cables on Seed Stitch Square, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Cables on Seed Stitch Square to your favorites or queue on Ravelry.
Cables on Seed Stitch Square
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
This textured baby blanket square is textured by cables and a seed stitch background. This square is part of the Sweet Summer Baby Blanket Knit Along with KAL Corner. This pattern by itself would also make a great washcloth!
- 12″ (30.5 cm) square.
- Vinnis Colours Nikkim yarn (100% cotton, 1.75 oz/50 g, 130 yd/119 m) – 2 skeins in 12 Summer Mix, or approximately 182 yd (166.5 m) in any light weight cotton yarn.
- Knitter’s Pride Ginger US Size 6/4 mm knitting needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle.
- Yarn needle.
- 23 sts = 4” (10 cm) in cable pattern. Exact gauge is not required for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- C4F – 4-stitch left-leaning cable – Sl 2 sts purlwise to cable needle, hold cable needle at front, k2, k2 from cable needle. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch pattern is available below.
- If you can’t see the C4F tutorial video above, click here to watch it on Instagram.
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- sl – slip stitch with yarn in back
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- CO 64 sts, or any multiple of 7 sts + 8 sts for borders.
- Border Row 1: (Right Side) K to last st, p1.
- Border Row 2: Sl 1 knitwise, k to last st, p1.
- Border Rows 3-4: Rep Border Row 2 twice.
- Row 1: (Right Side) Sl 1 knitwise, k3, *p1, k1, p1, k4; rep from * across to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1 knitwise, k3, *p4, p1, k1, p1; rep from * across to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Rows 1-2.
- Row 5: (Right Side) Sl 1 knitwise, k3, *p1, k1, p1, C4F; rep from * across to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Row 6: Rep Row 2.
- Rows 7-8: Rep Rows 1-2.
- Rep Rows 1-8 until square measures approximately 11.5″ (29.5 cm) long, ending after a repeat of Row 2, 4, 6, or 8.
- Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2.
- For a blanket square, fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 36″/91.5 cm) for seaming. (My preferred method for joining knit blanket squares is the mattress stitch.) Spray or wet block the square to 12″ (30.5 cm).
- For a washcloth, fasten off. Use yarn needle to weave in ends on wrong side.