I’m announcing a new blanket mystery crochet along for 2022! The Sectional Blanket will be a way to explore stitches and colors while creating your own unique throw blanket project. This year, I’m teaming up with Warm Up America, a non-profit organization that distributes handmade blankets and more to people in need during difficult times. This post has all the information you’ll need to get started and participate throughout the year. Join the crochet along to make a fun project, chat with other crocheters, crochet for charity, and enter to win great prizes!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Supplies for this pattern were generously provided by WeCrochet.
This is the main post for this crochet along. Read on for more details including:
- How the Sectional Blanket Crochet Along Works,
- Sectional Blanket Yarn Requirements,
- How To Join the Sectional Blanket CAL,
- About Warm Up America,
- Sectional Blanket Schedule,
- Sectional Blanket End-of-CAL Giveaway Prizes, and
- Enter theSectional Blanket End-of-CAL Giveaway.
How the Sectional Blanket Crochet Along Works
On Fridays from January 14 – December 16, 2022, I’ll share a new post in the Sectional Blanket Crochet Along.
The Sectional Blanket is designed in 7″ x 9″ (18 cm x 23 cm) sections. These sections are the size preferred by our charity partner, Warm Up America (find out more below).
The finished Sectional Blanket will be an adult sized throw measuring approximately 49″ x 63″ (124.5 cm x 160 cm). If you choose to add one or more borders, your finished blanket may be larger. Most sections will be worked in rows. Each week, I will share a new section pattern. If you crochet along in “real time,” you’ll be crocheting one to two sections or blocks each week. Some weeks, you may also join sections together. You are always free to skip a section you don’t like or repeat sections you do like again later in the blanket.
Don’t forget to enter the end-of-CAL giveaway by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Friday, December 31, 2022 (scroll down for details)!
Sectional Blanket Yarn Requirements
The Sectional Blanket pattern will be available in one size, as a large, cozy throw blanket. You can use it to cuddle under while watching television or crocheting your next project! Or, you can donate the finished blanket to our charity partner, Warm Up America (find out more below).
I’m using WeCrochet Brava Worsted in seven colors and a WeCrochet Majestic crochet hook for my version. Brava Worsted is an easy care, soft acrylic yarn available in many beautiful colors! It’s also a “no dye lot” yarn, so you can mix and match the same color from different dye lots. The colors I’m using are shown below.
- Back row left to right:
- Color D/29247 Snow Day Speckle, Color B/29246 Tidal Speckle, and Color F/28419 Clarity.
- Front row left to right:
- Color C/28454 Tranquil, Color G/28451 Sky, Color A/28437 Marina, and Color E/28422 Cornflower.
For each Sectional Blanket you plan to make, you’ll need:
- WeCrochet Brava Worsted yarn (100% acrylic, 3 oz/100 g, 218 yd/200 m): 18 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 3,750 yards/3,429 meters in any medium weight yarn.
- WeCrochet Majestic US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size that matches gauge or you prefer using with medium weight yarn.
- WeCrochet locking stitch marker set (optional, but helpful for marking the front and holding pieces together for seaming).
- WeCrochet bent-tip yarn needle.
You can choose as many colors as you’d like. While you can even crochet the blanket in one color, I recommend at least 2 colors as some of the sections will highlight better against a second color.
I recommend using a US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or the size that you prefer using with medium weight yarn.
How To Join the Sectional Blanket CAL
- You can join in by crocheting along with each section of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #sectionalblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you decide to donate sections locally or to Warm Up America directly, USE THIS FORM to track your donations and to enter a special Sectional Blanket giveaway through December 31, 2022! If you donate sections or a complete blanket, you can also use the #warmupamerica hashtag.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have your own beautiful throw blanket to cuddle up underneath, or to donate!
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
About Warm Up America
I’m so excited to be partnering with Warm Up America for this crochet along! Since 1991, Warm Up America has been distributing handmade blanket sections, complete blankets, and more to people in need during times of distress throughout the United States. While you are not required to donate to Warm Up America to participate in the crochet along, I hope you’ll consider donating several sections to Warm Up America, donating another crochet item from their Current Needs list, or donating blanket sections or a blanket locally. You can find out more about donating your crochet items to Warm Up America here.
If you decide to donate sections locally or to Warm Up America directly, USE THIS FORM to track your donations and to enter a special Sectional Blanket giveaway through December 31, 2022! If you donate sections or a complete blanket, you can also use the #warmupamerica hashtag.
Sectional Blanket CAL Schedule
The Sectional Blanket Crochet Along is a mystery CAL where you can unlock the mystery on Fridays in 2022! This section will be updated with links as new clues are released on Fridays at 7 p.m. Eastern.
- January 7: Announcement, Yarn Requirements, and End-of-CAL Giveaway Information (you are here)
- January 14: Section 1: Staggered Posts
- January 21: Section 2: Alpine Stitch
- January 28: Section 3: Double Pebble Stitch
- February 4: Section 4: Grit Stitch Variation
- February 11: Section 5: Xs and Os
- February 18: Section 6: Little Waves
- February 24: Section 7 and Join First Row
- March 4: Section 8: Parallels
- March 11: Section 9: Beehive Stitch
- March 18: Section 10: Peek-a-boo Section
- March 25: Section 11: Lamb Stitch Stripes
- April 1: Section 12: Moss Stitch
- April 8: Section 13: Cluster Stripes
- April 15: Section 14 and Join First Two Rows
- April 22: Section 15: Puffed V-Stitch
- April 29: Section 16: Stitch Stripes
- May 6: Section 17: Traveling Bobbles
- May 13: Section 18: Crunch Stitch
- May 20: Section 19: Stacked Shells
- May 27: Section 20: Gritty
- June 3: Section 21 and Join First Three Rows
- June 10: Section 22: DC Cross Stitch Stripes
- June 17: Section 23: Lemon Peel Stitch
- June 24: Section 24: Alternating Mock Bobbles
- July 1: Section 25: Basketweave
- July 8: Section 26: Alternating Bobbles
- July 15: Section 27: Herringbone Double Crochet
- July 22: Section 28 and Join First Four Rows
- July 29: Section 29: Alternating Long Double Crochet
- August 5: Section 30: Chain Columns
- August 12: Section 31: Stacked Shells Variation
- August 19: Section 32: Slanted Puff Shell Stitch
- August 26: Section 33: Wattle Stitch
- September 2: Section 34: Puff Stitch Mesh
- September 9: Section 35 and Join First Five Rows
- September 16: Section 36: Simple Shells
- September 23: Section 37: Back Loop Single Crochet
- September 30: Section 38: Arruga Stitch
- October 7: Section 39: X-Stitch Variation
- October 14: Section 40: Bobble Checkerboard
- October 21: Section 41: Boxes
- October 28: Section 42 and Join First Six Rows
- November 4: Section 43: Cluster Stripes Variation
- November 11: Section 44: Traveling Eyelets Section
- November 18: Section 45: Granny Stitch Section
- November 25: Section 46: Double Crunch Stitch Section
- December 2: Section 47: Little Waves Variation
- December 9: Section 48: Xs and Vs Section
- December 16: Section 49 and Finishing the Blanket
- Crochet at your own pace
- December 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern: Deadline for entering the end-of-CAL giveaways (see below for more details and to enter).
Sectional Blanket End-of-CAL Giveaway Prizes
I’ll be organizing two giveaways for the Sectional Blanket Crochet Along! The first one is open to all crocheters and includes prizes from some of my favorite companies: GlassEyesOnline, Hooked for Life Publishing, and WeCrochet.
GlassEyesOnline will provide one lucky winner with a 130-piece assortment of amigurumi safety eyes and noses. You can use these high quality eyes and noses for crochet, sewing, and other dolls and critter makes. Show your support by following GlassEyesOnline on Etsy | Facebook | Instagram.
Hooked for Life Publishing will provide one lucky winner with a Hookers Rule sticker. Now everyone will know how much you love to crochet! Show your support by following Hooked for Life on Facebook | Instagram.
WeCrochet will provide one lucky winner with a complete set of Majestic crochet hooks and a Sparkles the Unicorn Crocheting enamel pin. Sparkles will inspire you to crochet, and the laminated birch Majestic hooks will let the yarn glide easily. Show your support by following WeCrochet on Facebook | Instagram.
The second giveaway will be a bonus for crocheters who donate blanket sections to Warm Up America or a local charity. More details will be posted soon.
Enter the Sectional Blanket End-of-CAL Giveaway
- This is the end-of-CAL giveaway for the Sectional Blanket mystery crochet along hosted and organized by Underground Crafter.
- Enter the end-of-CAL giveaway using any of the options on the Rafflecopter widget below by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 31, 2022.
- Winners will be chosen from the entries at random. Each will win one of the prizes listed above.
- Winners will be contacted approximately one week after the entries close. Winners will have three days to claim their prizes. If winners do not respond within three days, prizes will be awarded to alternates.
- The names of winners will be made available in list form by request from Underground Crafter.
- This giveaway is open worldwide, except where prohibited by law.
- Don’t forget to join the fun in the Underground Crafters Facebook group or the Underground Crafter Ravelry group, too!