Welcome to Week 45 of the Sectional Blanket mystery crochet along! This week, we will crochet our forty-fifth section using the ever popular granny stitch!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by WeCrochet.
Join the Sectional Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter to win the end-of-CAL giveaways by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 31, 2022) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each section of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #sectionalblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram and Twitter when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you decide to donate sections locally or to Warm Up America directly, USE THIS FORM to track your donations and to enter a special Sectional Blanket giveaway through December 31, 2022! If you donate sections or a complete blanket, you can also use the #warmupamerica hashtag.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have your own beautiful throw blanket to cuddle up underneath, or to donate!
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Granny Stitch Section, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter or on Instragram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Granny Stitch Section to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Sectional Blanket Week 45: Granny Stitch Section
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
The Sectional Blanket is a mystery crochet along in 7″ x 9″ (18 cm x 23 cm) sections, the size preferred by our charity partner, Warm Up America. New clues will be released on Fridays through December 16, 2022. If you decide to donate sections locally or to Warm Up America directly, USE THIS FORM to track your donations and to enter a special Sectional Blanket giveaway through December 31, 2022!
- Throw Blanket, approximately 49″ x 63″ (124.5 cm x 160 cm) without borders.
- WeCrochet Brava Worsted yarn (100% acrylic, 3 oz/100 g, 218 yd/200 m): 18 skeins in your choice of colors, or approximately 3,750 yards/3,429 meters in any medium weight yarn.
- I am using the following colors for my version:
- Color A/28437 Marina,
- Color B/29246 Tidal Speckle,
- Color C/28454 Tranquil,
- Color D/29247 Snow Day Speckle,
- Color E/28422 Cornflower,
- Color F/28419 Clarity, and
- Color G/28451 Sky.
- I am using the following colors for my version:
- WeCrochet Majestic US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size that matches gauge or you prefer using with medium weight yarn.
- WeCrochet locking stitch marker set (optional, but helpful for marking the front and holding pieces together for seaming).
- WeCrochet bent-tip yarn needle.
- 20 dc = 6″ (15 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. If you plan to donate your finished sections to Warm Up America, please note that finished sections must measure 7″ x 9″ (18 cm x 23 cm).
Sectional Blanket Pattern Notes
- Whenever possible, I recommend crocheting over your yarn tails as you work. Sometimes, a stitch pattern will be too lacy to effectively crochet over your yarn tails. In that case, I recommend weaving in ends.
- Color changes are only suggestions. You are welcome to change colors more or less often.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video for identifying the back loop here.
- CD – Color D
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- () Work instructions in parentheses into same stitch or space.
Notes for Section 45
- Ch 1 at beginning of Rows and Rounds and sl st joins do not count as a stitches.
- Color changes are only suggestions. You are welcome to change colors more or less often. For this section, my Color D is WeCrochet Brava Worsted yarn in 29247 Snow Day Speckle.
Section 45: Granny Stitch
- With CD, ch 21.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 20 ch. (20 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in next st, [ch 1, skip 2 sts, 3 dc in next st, skip 1 st] across to last 2 sts, ch 1, skip 1 st, dc in next st.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc), [3 dc in next ch-1 sp (see video tutorial below), skip 3 dc, ch 1] across to last ch-1 sp, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, skip 1 st, dc in next st.
- If you can’t see the video above demonstrating 4 ways to crochet into chain spaces, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- Row 4: Turn, ch 3, dc in same st, [ch 1, skip 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp] across to last 4 sts, ch 1, skip 3 dc, dc in next st.
- Rep Rows 3-4 until section measures approximately 8″ (20.5 cm) tall.
- Next Row: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st and ch-1 sp across.
- Begin working in Rounds for Border.
- Border Round 1: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st and in each st across Next Row, *ch 2, turn to work along long edge, evenly work 28 sc along long edge,** ch 2, turn to work along foundation row, sc in next 20 sts, rep from * to **, ch 2, join with sl st to first sc. (20 sts on each short side + 28 sts on each long side + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Border Round 2: Ch 1, starting in same st [scBL in next 20 sts, (sc, ch 2, sc) in next ch-2 sp, scBL in next 28 sts, (sc, ch 2, sc) in next ch-2 sp] twice, join with sl st to first sc. (22 sts on each short side + 30 sts on each long side + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 30″/76 cm) for seaming.
1 thought on “Sectional Blanket 45: Granny Stitch”
Great design! Thank you for sharing!