I’m excited to share an easy sock yarn knitting pattern today as part of the King Cole Spring Accessories Make Along! The Laverna Shawlette is a color-blocked, beginner-friendly shawlette knit on large needles to make a lightweight and airy wrap that can be worn even in warmer weather.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration. All opinions and words are my own.
The King Cole North American Brand Ambassadors have come together to share 5 free crochet and knitting patterns for lovely spring accessories made with new cotton and cotton blend yarns!
All of the patterns in the Spring Accessories Make Along use two of King Cole’s newish cotton and cotton-blend yarns. We had the choice of Cottonsmooth DK…
…or Cotton Socks 4ply, a new cotton-blend sock yarn. I kind of fell in love with Cotton Socks 4ply as soon as I saw it, and instantly imagined an easy sock yarn knitting pattern for a shawlette. Cotton Socks 4ply is a light and airy and perfect for spring and summer accessories. It’s available at your local yarn shop, or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
One of the things I love about sock yarn is that there is just so much yardage. You can get a whole lot of project out of a skein! But most sock yarn is wool blend, and for people that are allergic to wool or are just wanting to branch out into other fibers, Cotton Socks 4ply offers a great alternative.
Although you can definitely make this pattern with one skein of Cotton Socks 4ply, I love color blocking, so I used two skeins.
So, let’s talk about the Laverna Shawlette. There are so many different ways you can style the Laverna Shawlette because of the angled edges.
Because the Laverna Shawlette is so thin since it’s made from Cotton Socks 4ply yarn, you can also wear it underneath a jacket or coat if the weather gets colder. I’m thinking this might be the new go-to accessory in my closet!
If you make your own Laverna Shawlette, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Laverna Shawlette to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Easy Sock Yarn Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
This color-blocked, beginner-friendly shawlette is knit on larger needles to make an airy, lightweight wrap for warmer weather. This pattern is part of the King Cole Spring Accessories Make Along.
- Adult: Approximately 6” (15 cm) wide at widest section x 54.5” (138.5 cm) long before blocking.
- King Cole Cotton Socks 4ply yarn (58% cotton/38% polyamide (nylon)/4% PBT (polyester), 3.5 oz/100 g/399 yd/365 m) – 1 skein each in 4758 Silver (CA) and 4766 Denim (CB), or approximately 145 yd (132.5 m) each in CA and CB in any super fine weight, cotton blend yarn.
- US Size 8/5 mm knitting needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- WeCrochet Premium Blocking Mats.
- 32 sts = 6” (10 cm) in garter stitch. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern. Your stitches should be loose and open, creating an airy accessory. Use a needle several sizes larger than you would typically use with a yarn of this weight.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- k2tog – knit 2 stitches together (decrease) – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for the k2tog decrease here.
- rep – repeat
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over(increase) – Very Pink Knits has a helpful video tutorial for the yarn over increase here.
- The finished shawlette may become even more airy with blocking. If you’re new to blocking, you can find tutorials and supply lists here.
- With CA, CO 2 sts.
- Row 1: (Right Side) K1, yo, k across. (3 sts, increases by 1 st)
- Row 2: K across.
- Rows 3-60: Rep Rows 1-2, 29 more times. (Rows 59/60: 32 sts)
Work even to center
- Rows 61-190: Rep Row 2, 130 times, or until shawlette measures approximately 26” (66 cm), or approximately half of desired length (before blocking). Fasten off CA.
Change color and continue working even
- Row 191: (Right Side) Change to CB, rep Row 2.
- Rows 192-320: Rep Row 2, 129 times, or until CB section is approximately the same length as the CA work even section.
- Row 321: (Right Side) K2tog, k across. (31 sts, decreases by 1 st)
- Row 322: Rep Row 2.
- Rows 323-378: Rep Rows 321-322, 28 more times. (Rows 377/378: 3 sts)
- Row 379: BO in pattern for Row 321. Fasten off CB.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails on wrong side.
- If desired, block using spray or wet blocking (see Pattern Notes).