I’m kicking off the 2023 Cozy at Home Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet with the comfy soft and homey pattern for the Sofa Scarf! This pattern is perfect for draping over the back of your loveseat or sofa to add a handmade flair to your home, and as soon as you get chilly, you can wrap it around you as a Comfort Shawl!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration. Additional tools for this pattern were provided by Denise Interchangeables.
Unlike many native New Yorkers who prefer the “modern” look of black or white, I love added pops of handmade color to everything I make, including in my home. King Cole Subtle Drifter Chunky yarn is one of my favorite cozy yarns, so I thought it would be perfect to use for a pattern to kick off the 2023 Cozy At Home Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet. Subtle Drifter Chunky a super soft, cotton and acrylic blend yarn. It’s machine washable, so great for the home or to wear against your skin. Subtle Drifter Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at Wool Warehouse UK.
The Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl uses one of my favorite stitch patterns, the crossed double crochet (also known as the x-stitch). I’ve included a video tutorial if this stitch is new to you. If you’ve been following my work for a while, you probably know I like asymmetrical designs because they add a lot more visual interest without necessarily making the project more difficult.
This pattern is so squishy soft, and if you have a loveseat or sofa, it will look great draped across the back! Make it in your own combination of three colors, to coordinate with your decor or to contrast!
Scroll down for the free pattern for the Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl. This is the first pattern in the 2023 Cozy At Home Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet.
To join the 2023 Cozy At Home Crochet Along:
- Sign up for Crochet Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including an update as each CAL pattern is released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- Find out more about the CAL, get links to each pattern as it is published, and enter the end-of-CAL giveaway for your chance to win one of five awesome prizes from babé crochet co., GlassEyesOnline, Hooked for Life, KnitPal, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 11:59 pm Eastern HERE.
- You can join in by crocheting the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 10 awesome projects. These will be perfect for making your home cozy and comfy or gifting to your near and dear ones.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This project is perfect for laying across the back of your sofa to add a warm and homey look. If you get chilly, it easily transforms into a shawl to wrap around YOU while you’re sitting on the sofa! This is the first pattern in the third annual Cozy At Home Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet.
- One Size (to fit across a loveseat or 3-seat sofa back, or to wear as an adult-sized shawl): 68” (173 cm) long x 8.5” (21.5 cm) wide.
- King Cole Subtle Drifter Chunky yarn (25% cotton, 6% wool, 69% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 2 skeins each in 4667 Slate (CA), 4672 Rose (CB), and 4665 Mustard (CC), or approximately 200 yd (183 m) in each of 3 colors in any bulky weight yarn.
- Subtle Drifter Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at Wool Warehouse UK.
- Denise Interchangeables US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Bent-tip yarn needle.
- 6 cdc/12 sts = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Sk st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st. Each cdc counts as 2 sts. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for the crossed double crochet above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Helpful tips (including a video) for crocheting into a long foundation chain are available in the video below.
- If you can’t see the video above with tips for crocheting into a long foundation chain, click HERE to watch it on Instagram.
- A helpful video tutorial demonstrating how to change colors in the last yarn over of the row is available below.
- If you can’t see the video above demonstrating how to change colors at the end of a row, click HERE to watch it on Facebook.
- A helpful video tutorial for crocheting along the side of rows is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above for crocheting along the side of rows, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Sofa Scarf or Comfort Shawl
- With CA, ch 206 (or any multiple of 2 sts, + 4 sts).
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 ch (counts as dc), cdc across (101 times/202 sts) to last ch, dc in next ch. (204 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc), cdc across (101 times/202 sts) to last st, dc in next st.
- Row 3: Rep Row 2, changing to CB in last yo of final dc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CA.
- Rows 4-5: Rep Row 2, twice.
- Row 6: Rep Row 2, changing to CC in last yo of final dc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CB.
- Rows 7-8: Rep Row 2, twice
- Row 9: Rep Row 2, changing to CA in last yo of final dc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CC.
- Row 10: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across, changing to CB in last yo of final sc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CA.
- Row 11: Rep Row 10, changing to CC in last yo of final sc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CB.
- Row 12: Rep Row 10, changing to CA in last yo of final sc (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CC.
- Row 13: Rep Row 3.
- Row 14: Rep Row 6.
- Row 15: Rep Row 9.
- Row 16: (Right/Front Side) Turn to work along short edge (see Pattern Notes), ch 1, *[2 sc in side of next row]** 3 times, sc in side of next 3 rows, rep from * to ** 9 times, ch 1, join with sl st to foundation chain. Fasten off CA.
- Next Row: With Right Side facing up, join CA with sl st to foundation chain at opposite side of Sofa Scarf from Row 16, ch 1, *[2 sc in side of next row]** 9 times, sc in side of next 3 rows, rep from * to ** 3 times, ch 1, join with sl st to foundation chain. Fasten off CA.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on Wrong/Back Side of project.