Welcome to Week 7 of the Mélange Blanket mystery crochet along with Underground Crafter! This week’s pattern is the Striped Linen Square by Sweet Potato 3.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by King Cole and Denise Interchangeables.
Join the Mélange Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter the giveaway for your chance to win a one of five great prizes from babé crochet co., Denise Interchangeables, GlassEyesOnline, King Cole, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 22, 2023) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each square of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or follow Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 48 beautiful squares you can put together into a beautiful blanket.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Mélange Blanket Square 7: Striped Linen Square
Our seventh square pattern is the Striped Linen Square by Sweet Potato 3. You can find Christine online at Etsy | Facebook | Instagram | LoveCrafts | Pinterest | Ravelry | YouTube | Newsletter
You can see Christine’s version below. She used two colors in King Cole Fashion Aran yarn.
I am using King Cole Big Value Aran (available through your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK) and my Denise US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook for my blanket so I can keep consistent gauge across all my squares.
For my version of the Striped Linen Square, I used Berry as the Main Color (MC) and Nougat as the Contrast Color (CC). My square was closer to 5.25″ (13.5 cm) after Round 10, so after fastening off, I joined Ocean with a slip stitch to the stitch after a chain-2 space. To keep the stitch count the same, I worked 1 half double crochet into each single crochet in Round 10, and (chain 2, skip chain-2 space) in each corner. I finished by joining with a slip stitch to the first half double crochet. I lightly spray blocked the square. (If you’re new to blocking, check out Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.)
Christine has a video tutorial for her method for changing colors and carrying the colors in this pattern, which I’ve linked down below. There are so many fewer ends to weave in!
Head over to Sweet Potato 3 and get the free crochet pattern for the Striped Linen Square here. Don’t forget to share your version online using #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal as hashtags.Tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures, or share your pictures in the Underground Crafters Facebook group or in the Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.