Welcome to Week 8 of the Mélange Blanket mystery crochet along with Underground Crafter! This week’s pattern is the Rays of Sunshine Square by Knitting with Chopsticks.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by King Cole and Denise Interchangeables.
Join the Mélange Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter the giveaway for your chance to win a one of five great prizes from babé crochet co., Denise Interchangeables, GlassEyesOnline, King Cole, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 22, 2023) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each square of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or follow Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 48 beautiful squares you can put together into a beautiful blanket.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Mélange Blanket Square 8: Rays of Sunshine Square
Our eighth square pattern is the Rays of Sunshine Square by Knitting with Chopsticks. You can find Christine online at Etsy | Facebook | Instagram | LoveCrafts | Pinterest | Ravelry | Newsletter
You can see Hortense’s version below. She used one solid color of yarn.
I am using King Cole Big Value Aran (available through your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK) and my Denise US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook for my blanket so I can keep consistent gauge across all my squares.
For my version of the Rays of Sunshine Square, I used Berry through Round 1, changing to Nougat with the slip stitch at the end of Round 1. I used Nougat through Round 3, changing to Ocean with the slip stitch at the end of Round 3. My square was about 5.5″ (14 cm) after Round 4, so I couldn’t complete Rounds 5-6 as written. Instead, for my version, I worked Round 5 using single crochets in place of the double crochets along the sides, and with (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in each corner. I lightly spray blocked the square. (If you’re new to blocking, check out Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.)
Head over to Knitting with Chopsticks and get the free crochet pattern for the Rays of Sunshine Square here. Don’t forget to share your version online using #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal as hashtags.Tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures, or share your pictures in the Underground Crafters Facebook group or in the Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.