I’m joining Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy for the annual Hat of the Month Crochet Along with the Alex Slouchy Beanie crochet pattern. The Alex is available in 10 sizes from newborn through adult large, so you’ll be sure to find a size that works for your needs.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
Last week, I shared the Alex Infinity Scarf as part of the Scarf of the Month Crochet Along, and this week, I’m joining the annual Hat of the Month Crochet Along (get the details on Oombawka Design Crochet and on The Stitchin’ Mommy) with the Alex Slouchy Beanie. In this year’s version of the Crochet Along, Rhondda and Amy have invited 12 guest designers, so each month you get 3 free hat patterns. Whether you like to make hat to wear, gift, or donate, this is the perfect CAL for you!
For my contribution to this month’s CAL, I finished up the matching set with the Alex Slouchy Beanie, available in 10 sizes from newborn through adult large. For this slouchy beanie crochet pattern, I used two colors of Fashion Aran, which is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK. You can make your version in one color, if you prefer, or with many stripes by changing colors at the yarn over at the end of Round 1.
Scroll down for the free pattern for the Alex Slouchy Beanie. If you’re visiting this post before 11:59 pm Eastern on March 27, 2023, you can use coupon code ALEX to get the PDF version of the Alex Slouchy Beanie on Ravelry for free, or click here to add the coupon code with pattern to your cart. Don’t forget to visit Oombawka Design Crochet to get Rhondda’s March pattern, the Shades of Midnight Hat, and The Stitchin’ Mommy to get Amy’s March pattern, the Prismatic Beanie. All three patterns are forever free on our blogs, but the coupon codes to get the PDF versions for free are available through 11:59 pm Eastern on March 27, 2023. Make sure that your cart is set to $0 before checking out as there will be no refunds for accidental purchases.
If you make your own Alex Slouchy Beanie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Alex Slouchy Beanie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Alex Slouchy Beanie
Slouchy Beanie Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
The Alex Slouchy Beanie matches the Alex Infinity Scarf. The design combines an interesting texture on the Hat Band with an open stitch pattern to make this slouchy beanie crochet pattern perfect for wearing in transitional weather. This pattern was designed for the Scarf of the Month Crochet Along with Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy.
- Newborn (0-3 Months, 3-6 Months, 6-12 Months, 1-2 Years, 3-5 Years, 6-12 Years, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, Adult Large). Photographed sample is Teen/Adult Small shown on a mannequin with 22.5” (57 cm) head circumference.
- Newborn: 13” (33 cm) hat circumference x 5.25” (13.5 cm) height.0-3 Months: 15″ (38 cm) hat circumference x 6.25″ (16 cm) height.3-6 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 6.5” (16.5 cm) height.6-12 Months: 17″ (43 cm) hat circumference x 7″ (18 cm) height.1-2 Years: 18” (45.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.25” (18.5 cm) height.3-5 Years: 19″ (48.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.75″ (19.5 cm) height.6-12 Years: 20” (51 cm) hat circumference x 8.25” (21 cm) height.Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 8.5” (21.5 cm) height.Adult Medium: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 9” (23 cm) height.
- Adult Large: 23” (58.5 cm) hat circumference x 9.25” (23.5 cm) height.
- King Cole Fashion Aran yarn (70% acrylic/30% wool, 3 oz/100 g, 219 yd/200 m) – 2 skeins in 3057 Ginger (CA) and 1 skein in 630 Lewis (CB), or approximately 225 yd (206 m) in CA and 40 yd (35.5 m) in CB in any medium weight acrylic or acrylic blend yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to get gauge.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to get gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 10 sts in pattern for Hat Band = 3” (7.5 cm) with smaller hook.
- 12 sts/6 cdc = 4″ (10 cm) with larger hook.
- For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Skip next st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st. Each cdc counts as 2 sts. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for the crossed double crochet above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- pf – 3-repeat puff stitch – [Yo, insert hook into st, yo and draw up a loop] 3 times in same st, yo and draw through all 7 loops on hook. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for the crossed double crochet above, click HERE to watch it on Instagram.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
-  – Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- The Hat Band is crocheted flat with the smaller hook until it reaches the hat circumference. Then, the Hat Band is seamed with a slip stitch join, and stitches are picked up along the edge of the Hat Band. The rest of the pattern is crocheted in joined rounds. Finally, the hat is cinched closed.
- A helpful tutorial for cinching a slouchy hat closed is available here.
Hat Band – All sizes
- With smaller hook and CA, ch 8 (8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 11, 11, 11) or (any multiple of 3 sts + 2 sts).
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next ch and in each ch across. – 7 (7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 10, 10, 10) sts
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, [pf in next st, sc in next 2 sts] across.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across.
- Row 4: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, [sc in next 2 sts, pf in next st] across.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Rep Rows 2-5 until Hat Band measures 13″ (15″, 16″, 17″, 18″, 19″, 20″, 21″, 22″, 23)/33 cm (38 cm, 40.5 cm, 43 cm, 45.5 cm, 48.5 cm, 51 cm, 53.5 cm, 56 cm), ending after a repeat of Row 2 or Row 4. Do not fasten off.
- Designate one side of the Hat Band as the right (front) side. The edge where Row 2 and 4 end is the bottom (as shown in the photo below).
- Fold Hat Band in half along long edge with short edges aligned, being careful not to twist. Join short edge with slip stitch seam (see video below) on wrong side. Turn Hat Band right side out. Do not fasten off.
- If you can’t see the video above demonstrating how to join with a slip stitch seam, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Pick Up Stitches
- Continuing with CA and smaller hook, and working along the top side of the long edge (see video below), evenly pick up 45 (51, 55, 59, 61, 65, 69, 71, 75, 79) sc, join CB with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CA.
- If you can’t see the video above demonstrating how to crochet along the side of your project, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- Switch to larger hook and begin working in the round.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, dc in same st, cdc around, join with sl st to first dc.
- Rep Rnd 1 until hat measures 5.25″ (6.25″, 6.5″, 7″, 7.25″, 7.75″, 8.25″, 8.5″, 9″, 9.5″)/13.5 cm (16 cm, 16.5 cm, 18 cm, 18.5 cm, 19.5 cm, 21 cm, 21.5 cm, 23 cm, 23.5 cm). Fasten off CB with long yarn tail (approximately 24″/61 cm) for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail.
- With Right Side facing outwards, cinch crown of hat closed (see Pattern Notes).
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.