I’m sharing the first of five weekly roundups including handmade gift ideas as part of the fifth annual Christmas in July Make Along! Last week’s theme was gift ideas for babies, kids, and teens, and this collection includes 12 crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for toys, accessories, and home decor projects that are perfect for the youngsters, along with 47 more ideas to get your creative juices flowing!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
To join the Christmas in July Make Along:
- Sign up for Christmas in July Make Along Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including an update as each pattern is released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- Visit this blog post for links to each pattern as it goes live, and to enter the giveaway by Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern for your chance to win one of nine prizes from Eucalan, Fox & Pine Stitches, GlassEyesOnline, Hartiful, KennyClayCo, KnitPal, Knitter’s Relief Balm, Search Press North America, and seashellcrafter.
- You can join in by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2023 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- If you need more handmade holiday inspiration, check out the weekly roundups with even more free patterns for gift ideas.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
12+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Babies, Kids, and Teens
This week’s theme for the Christmas in July Make Along is Babies, Kids, and Teens. It’s never too early to get a jump start on the handmade holidays! Today’s roundup includes 12+ free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for handmade gift ideas for kids. Find your next project in this collection of softies and amigurumi, accessories, toys, and home decor items for babies, kids, and teens!
5 Crochet Patterns
These fabulous free crochet patterns include toys, blankets, a slouch hat, and a set of hanging baskets.
- Hayden Slouch Hat by Underground Crafter: This gender-neutral, textured slouch hat pattern is available in 10 sizes from newborn through adult large. Make a coordinating set for the whole family!
- Quick Hanging Baskets by Fosbas Designs: With three sizes available, these simple hanging baskets are a great gift for kids and parents alike! Perfect for keeping toys and findings off the floor.
- Christmas Lane Striped Blanket by Remington Lane Crochet: This cozy blanket works up quickly in super bulky yarn. The pattern is available in two sizes.
- Penguin Baby Blanket by Crochet Cloudberry: This adorable blanket uses the intarsia method for crochet colorwork.
4 Knitting Patterns
These lovely free knitting patterns include a baby blanket, a cozy hat, a softie, and fashionable dolls clothes.
- Easy Multicolored Baby Blanket by Easy on The Tongue: This simple pattern uses self-striping yarn to make colorwork easy, and includes both written instructions and a video tutorial.
- Fun Striped Hat by Little Red Window: A free version of this adorable pom pom hat is available in the 0-3 months size.
- Cuddle Kitty by Underground Crafter: This adorable softie works up quickly with a super bulky weight yarn.
- American Girl Doll Vintage Double-Breasted Jacket by ABC Knitting Patterns: This retro 1950s jacket coordinates with the free Pillbox Hat pattern.
3 Sewing Patterns
These quick and easy free sewing patterns include toys and a zipper bag for carrying all manner of treasures around!
- Bean Bag by Underground Crafter: This easy project can provide hours of fun and includes a list of both indoor and outdoor activities for bean bags.
- Easy Zipper Pouch by Sew What Alicia: This simple project can be finished in less than an hour. Perfect for markers, crayons, or personal hygeine products for teens, and more!
- Llama Finger Puppet by Felt With Love: This adorable pattern is one of many in a series of free felt finger puppet patterns.
Still looking for more handmade gift idea inspiration? Check out these roundups for 47 more handmade gift ideas for kids!