Welcome to Week 30 of the Mélange Blanket mystery crochet along with Underground Crafter! This week’s pattern is the Hopscotch Blanket Square by Green Fox Farms Designs.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by King Cole and Denise Interchangeables.
Join the Mélange Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter the giveaway for your chance to win a one of five great prizes from babé crochet co., Denise Interchangeables, GlassEyesOnline, King Cole, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 22, 2023) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each square of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or follow Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 48 beautiful squares you can put together into a beautiful blanket.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Mélange Blanket Square 30: Hopscotch Blanket Square
You can see Lisa’s version in one color below.
I used King Cole Big Value Aran (available through your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK) for my square, along with my Denise US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, to keep my tension and gauge similar across squares by different designers.
For my version, I used chained 19 instead of 21 (and ended up with 18 instead of 20 stitches). I used Ocean through Row 4, Berry through Row 8, and Ocean through Row 13. At that point, my square measured approximately 5.5″ (14 cm). I used Nougat for the edging, working 20 stitches evenly on the raw edges and for the foundation row and last row, I worked two single crochet into the first and last stitch to get 20 stitches along that side as well. After this, my square was the perfect size and I spray blocked it. (If you’re new to blocking, check out Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.) Lisa uses two special stitch patterns — the extended single crochet and the crossed double crochet — in this pattern.
I have included two video tutorials you may find helpful for this pattern below. The first is for the crossed double crochet stitch.
If you can’t see the video tutorial for the crossed double crochet above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube. The second helpful tutorial is for working the single crochet around your project.
If you can’t see the video tutorial above for working the single crochet around your project, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Head over to Green Fox Farms Designs and get the free crochet pattern for the Hopscotch Blanket Square here. Don’t forget to share your version online using #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal as hashtags.Tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures, or