The first project I made when I learned the traditional granny square for the first time was a blanket, so motif blankets hold a special place in my heart. For today’s Granny Square Month post, I’ve compiled 12 free crochet patterns for blankets made from squares. These include traditional granny squares in interesting configurations, squares with appliques, corner-to-corner (c2c) crochet squares, samplers, and blankets made with a single, yet beautiful, motif square pattern. I’m sure you’ll find something included to inspire your next project.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and are used with permission.
12 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns Made from Squares
Roundup by Underground Crafter
- Spring Flower Granny Square Afghan by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This floral motif blanket includes a video tutorial.
- Rag Quilt Style Baby Blanket by Highland Hickory Designs: This motif blanket uses a join to mimic the look of rag quilts (but with far less thread lint getting stuck in your washing machine!).
- Solar System Blanket by Whistle and Ivy: This 21-square blanket includes patterns for 9 unique motifs made using corner-to-corner (C2C) crochet.
- Ocean Themed Granny Square Afghan by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This granny square blanket features 15 appliques for ocean creatures.
Middle column, from top to bottom:
- Granny’s Flower Garden Blanket by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This floral motif blanket pattern includes several video tutorials.
- Woodland Granny Square Afghan by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This granny square blanket features 9 woodland creatures and an evergreen tree.
- Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket by Underground Crafter: This pattern features 5 variations on the traditional granny square pattern and granny triangles set on point.
- Colorful Visions Afghan by YARNutopia: This 7-color motif blanket pattern includes a video tutorial.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Cosmic Constellation Throw by Creative Crochet Workshop: This blanket is made using the first 9 motifs from the 2018 Crochet A Block Afghan.
- Groovy Mini Granny Square Afghan by Creative Crochet Workshop: This blanket is made using 8 motif patterns for 4.5” (11.5 cm) squares.
- Llama and Cactus Granny Square Afghan by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This granny square blanket features appliques for a llama, a cactus, and a flower.
- Double Irish Chain Granny Square Blanket by Underground Crafter: This pattern uses a 3-round traditional granny square arranged to mimic the look of the classic quilting pattern.