Welcome to the Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long! If you’re just learning about the CAL, read this post for more details and links to the rest of the crochet-a-long.
Today, I’m sharing the first clue in the Picnic Basket Shawl pattern. We’ll be starting our foundation chain and working through Row 3.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re feeling impatient or want an easy-print format, you can opt to buy a PDF version of the pattern on Craftsy!
Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long Week 1
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 48” (122 cm) wingspan x 12” (30.5 cm) width unblocked; 52” (132 cm) wingspan x 16” (40.5 cm) width blocked.
- Malabrigo Yarn Sock (3.5 oz/100 g/440 yds/402 m/100% superwash Merino wool) – 2 skeins 120 Lotus, or approximately 770 yds/704 m in any super fine weight yarn.
- US Size E-4 (3.5 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Like crochet lace? Take the Classic Crochet Openwork online course on Craftsy!
- 1 motif in pattern = 3” (7.5 cm) wide unblocked. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Gauge is measured across widest point of motif in Row 5 or Row 8, so I will share more details next week.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sp(s) – space(s)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Ch 254 (or any multiple of 28 sts + 2 sts). For tips on working with a long foundation chain, read this blog post!
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch and in ea ch across. (253 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, *ch 5, sk 3 sts, sc in next st; rep from * across.
- Row 3: Turn, (ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp) 3 times, *[dc, ch 1, (cl, ch 1) 3 times, dc] in next ch-5 sp,** (sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5) 5 times, sc in next ch-5 sp, rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with three ch-5 sps remaining, (sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5) 2 times, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 2, dc in last st.
You can watch this week’s video below for a walk through of the first 3 rows.
If you can’t see the video above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
© 2015 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/picnic2015. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
For the full crochet-a-long schedule, visit the CAL announcement here.
- Don’t forget to add the Picnic Basket Shawl to your Ravelry favorites!