Last month, I shared the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket pattern with you. I had so much fun using this variation of the diagonal box stitch (also known as the corner-to-corner or c2c technique), that I decided to design a 6″ (15 cm) square using it.
This square is my first contribution to the Mystery Lapghan Crochet-a-long, a fun crochet event featuring 36 6″ (15 cm) squares by 30 crochet designers.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
The great thing about using this pattern for the CAL is that it can easily be adjusted to match your specific gauge. I included a video tutorial at the bottom of the post in case you are new to corner-to-corner crocheting. I used different hook sizes for the sample square pictured above and the one in the video, and each required a different number of rows to reach the same size. You can make similar adjustments to your own square!
Diagonal Box Stitch Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
A variation on the diagonal box stitch.
- Adjustable. Photographed sample is 6” (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Heartland yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 169 Shenandoah (CA) and 109 Olympic (CB), or approximately 30 yds (27 m) each in CA and CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Square is crocheted in one piece in rows from corner to corner using a variation of the diagonal box stitch.
- Stitch pattern is reversible, so choose best side as right (front) side before joining to other squares
- To adjust size, continue repeating Row 3 until straight edge reaches your desired length.
- A video tutorial for this pattern is available below. Scroll down for the written pattern.
- If you can’t see the video for the Diagonal Box Stitch Square above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- With CA, ch 5.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 (counts as ch-3 sp), dc in next 2 ch. (1 box)
- Row 2: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 sts, dc in next 2 st, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-3 sp of previous row. (2 boxes)
Increase to center
- Row 3: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 sts, dc in next 2 st, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across. (Increases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 4-8: Rep Row 3, 5 times.
- Row 9: Rep Row 3, changing to CB in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CA.
Decrease to end
- Row 10: Turn, sl st in first 2 sts, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across to last ch-3 sp, sl st in ch-3 sp. (Decreases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 11-16: Rep Row 10, 6 times.
- Row 17: Rep Row 10. Fasten off CB.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.