Tomorrow is I Love Yarn Day, one of my favorite days of the year! This annual event, organized by the Craft Yarn Council, is now in its sixth year, and this year’s theme, #StitchItForward, is all about teaching. To celebrate, I thought I would share some of my favorite yarn-related tutorials from around the web. I’ve organized them into different categories so you can easily find what you’re looking for. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links.
Understanding, Discovering, and Using New-to-You Yarn
- Hanks, Balls, and Skeins — Oh My! by Stitches’N’Scraps explains the different ways yarn comes packaged.
- How To Work With Those Thick Bumpy Yarns is a video chat with Posh Pooch Designs that also includes a free crochet pattern.
- How To Find Great Yarn Stores on Your Next Trip shares 6 ways to find yarn shops while traveling.
- Kim Guzman has many different yarn-related tutorials, including Tunisian Crochet: Stop the Curling and Ten Tips for Crochet Garment Design.
- How To Make the Most Out of Your First (or Next) Fiber Festival shares 4 tips for having a great time at a yarn event.
- Yarn Substitutions: How To Calculate How Much Yarn You Need by Oombawka Design includes some calculations to make substitutions easier.
- 5 Tips for Successful Yarn Substitutions will help you easily switch yarns for a project.
- Clever DIY Yarn Hack by Petals to Picots is an easy peasy tip for keeping your yarn untangled.
- How To Wind Yarn with a Swift and Winder is a photo tutorial that will help you get over any fears of buying yarn in hanks.
- 5 Tips for Embracing Color in Your Crochet or Knitting and Choose the Right Multicolor Yarn for Fabulous Projects will help you break out of your color comfort zone.
- Getting to Know Eco Yarns is a guest post by Knit Eco Chic including 3 tips for identifying eco-friendly yarns.
- Natural Fiber Yarn or Synthetic Fiber Yarn by Same DiNamics Crochet includes 7 tips for deciding which yarn to use.
- Pairing Yarn Colors by Sincerely, Pam gives a great overview of color theory and how it applies to yarn.
- Manage Your Yarn Storage by Naztazia includes a video tutorial.
- 5 Tips for Organizing Your Yarn Stash and 5 Easy Ways to Reduce Your Yarn Stash (Perhaps So You Can Get More) share some of my favorite tips for getting your yarn collection under control.
- How to Make a Yarn Shawl Toggle by Simply Collectible Crochet includes a photo and video tutorial for a great accessory to wear with your favorite shawl.
- Pattern Paradise has photo tutorials showing How To Make a Mini PomPom and How To Make a Large PomPom.
- How To Knitfelt (or Full) Wool Yarn in the Washer and Dryer shows you how to shrink your finished project on purpose. This is one of my favorite techniques to use on crochet and knit bags.
- How To Make a Tassel by Petals to Picots includes a photo tutorial for a fun adornment.
- How To Knit or Crochet Using an Exact Amount of Yarn by FreshStitches will help you to use up every last bit of yarn.
- Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters includes an overview about spray, wet, and steam blocking.
- How To Wet Block Crochet and Knit Squares by Moogly includes a photo tutorial.
- 8 Tips for Washing Your Crochet or Knit Wearables features suggestions for keeping those projects you worked so hard to make in great shape.
- Caring for Your Hand Knitted and Crocheted Items by Petals to Picots includes a link to free printable gift tags for your work.
- How To Add a Project to Ravelry for an Online Crochet- or Knit-a-Long has a detailed photo tutorial to make sharing your projects easy.
- How To Find Crochet and Knitting Patterns on Ravelry by Moogly will help you to find just the right pattern for your next project.
Still looking for more yarn tips and tutorials? Check out these roundups!
- 27 New Things to Know About Yarn via Crochet Concupiscence
- Making Your Own Yarn – 6 Great Tutorials via Moogly
- 20 Insanely Clever Yarn Hacks That Will Make Your Next Project Easier via Heart Handmade UK
- 8 Flower Loom Tutorials on Underground Crafter
2 thoughts on “30+ Yarn Tutorials That Will Rock Your Crafty World #ILoveYarnDay”
Thanks for the link. Awesome roundup!
Thank you so much for adding my tips! This is a great list.
(I’ve featured it on Crochet Street. 🙂 http://crochetstreet.com/2016/10/30-super-cool-yarn-tutorials/ )