This is the ninth post in my series of roundups for handmade gift ideas for the winter holiday season. This roundup includes 29 free fabric, crochet, and knitting patterns and tutorials for bags that would make great gifts for kids and adults. I’ve included totes, messenger bags, clutches, backpacks, purses, and more, so there should be plenty of inspiration for projects for everyone on your handmade holiday list!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
29 Free Tutorials and Patterns for Handmade Bags
Roundup by Underground Crafter
These eight projects include totes, purses, clutches, and more. All but one require sewing.
- Oversized Donut Tote Bag by Crafty Lady Abby for Fairfield World: This is another sewing project made with Fairfield Oly-Fun. It would make a great gift for your favorite junk food junkie.
- Small Felt Purse by Life Sew Savory: This sewing pattern for a cute little purse is made with felt and would delight a little lady on your gift list.
- Easy Zipper Pouch by This Heart of Mine: This simple sewing tutorial includes plenty of photos.
- Messenger Bag Tutorial by Crazy Little Projects: This sewing tutorial includes lots of photos and a video for the the finishing process.
- No-Sew Hobo Purse by Fleece Fun: This pattern is available in both child and adult sizes and includes both photo and video tutorials.
- Cross Body Tote Bag by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: This sewing tutorial for a jumbo tote could also be used as a gift bag.
- Oversized Tuxedo Cat Head Tote Bag by Crafty Lady Abby: This sewing project is made with Fairfield Oly-Fun and makes the perfect gift for the “crazy cat lady” on your handmade holiday list.
- Fat Quarter Clutch This Heart of Mine: This easy sewing pattern can be made with just one fat quarter. It’s a great way to use up your fabric stash!
6 Knitting Bag Patterns
These six patterns include totes, project bags, messenger bags, and more. Patterns are listed clockwise, from top left corner.
- Aspen Mountain Bag by Mama in a Stitch: This tote uses a simple stitch pattern and is finished with microfiber or leather handles.
- Be So Brave Felted Bag by Kristin Omdahl: This felted tote makes a great project bag for your favorite crocheter or knitter.
- Scrap Bag by Frankie Brown: This stash buster bag is stiffened with plastic canvas.
- Sweater Bag by Lion Brand: This messenger bag looks like a sweater panel. Login required.
- Cake Bags by Frankie Brown: These bags with knitted cake appliques are available in two sizes and are perfect for your favorite sweet tooth.
- Swirls and Stripes Mosaic Bag by Tamara Goff for Red Heart: This seemingly complex pattern uses beginner-friendly slip stitches with only one color worked in each row.
15 Crochet Bag Patterns
These 15 crochet patterns include clutches, purses, tote bags, backpacks, and more.
- Striped Bag with No-Sew Liner by Underground Crafter: This bag includes a photo tutorial for the stitch pattern and for making the no-sew liner.
- Crayons Are Cute Bag by Divine Debris: This tapestry crochet project would make a great gift for a budding artist.
- Fabric and Crochet Zipper Bag by 5 Little Monsters for Fairfield World: This pattern uses Fairfield Structure interfacing and fabric to line a textured crochet bag.
- Cassette Tape Pouch by Moogly: This retro zippered pouch makes a great gift for your favorite audiophile.
- Panda Clutch Purse by YARNutopia: This adorable strapped clutch includes a video tutorial.
- Daytripper Backpack by Sewrella: This simple backpack could also make great gift wrap for an unusually shaped present.
- Hoooked Tote by Jessie At Home: This tote bag features motifs and braided, tasseled straps.
- Flower Shoulder Bag by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This boho purse includes helpful progress photos and a video tutorial for attaching the zipper.
- Mayuri’s Tote Bag by Crochet for You: This tote bag has a matching hat pattern.
- Totes McGoats by Moogly: This cute goat tote is perfect for your favorite mohair or yarn lover.
- Chestnut Bag by ABC Knitting Patterns: This felted bag includes crocheted appliqued leaves.
- Spike Stitch Makeup Bag by Goddess Crochet: This striped makeup bag could also be used to wrap a gift of yarn.
- Simple Purse by Oombawka Design: This multi-color purse can be closed with a button or bead fastener.
- Clutch Purse by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This striped clutch would be a great way to use up scrap yarn while showcasing a special button.
- Puffy Spike Stitch Bag by CrochetN’Crafts: This striped tote pattern includes a photo tutorial for working the straps.
If you’re still looking for more project inspiration, check out these posts for more 33 more free crochet bag patterns. Click on the image to go to the post.