This is the eleventh post in my series of roundups for handmade gift ideas for the winter holiday season. This roundup includes 25 free crochet and knitting patterns, and sewing, embroidery, and other craft tutorials for ornaments. These ornaments are great for decorating, for gifting, or for using as gift wrap. I’ve included different styles ranging from traditional to modern so there is plenty of ornament inspiration for everyone on your handmade holiday list.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
25 Handmade Ornaments to Make and Gift
Roundup by Underground Crafter
9 Crafts Tutorials
These nine crafty ornaments include low-sew projects, embroidery glue gun projects, and more! Shown clockwise from top left.
- Felt Wine Glass Ornament by Swoodson Says: These low-sew ornaments would make a great gift for any wine lover.
- Embroidered Cork Gingerbread Ornaments by Flamingo Toes: These adorable ornaments are made with cork fabric and embellished with embroidery.
- Christmas Stockings by Crafty Lady Abby for Fairfield World: These bright, decorative stockings are sewn using Aluminor and Oly-Fun.
- Cinnamon Stick Ornaments by This Grandma is Fun: These simple ornaments use cinnamon sticks and ribbon to bring the smells of the holiday season.
- Felt Ice Skate Ornament by Swoodson Says: The ornaments would be a great gift for any skater-in-training.
- Button Wreath Ornament by The Country Chic Cottage: This simple glue-gun project uses an embroidery hoop for the base of the wreath.
- Felt Cookie Ornaments by Life Sew Savory: These low-sew ornaments look like tasty sugar cookies.
- Felt Keepsake Ornaments by Sew What Alicia: These ornaments can be made with sewing or a glue gun and make great mementos.
- Atomic Starburst Ornament by PMQ for Two: This ornament is made with Cricut-cut vinyl.
4 Free Knitting Patterns
These four free knitting patterns include options for at least 9 ornament projects! Shown clockwise from top left.
- Holiday Decorations by Designs by KN: This set of knitting patterns includes hat, sweater, sock, tree, and candy cane ornaments.
- Gingerbread House 24 Tree by Frankie Brown: This pattern is one of 24 free knitting patterns with a gingerbread house theme.
- Tiny Christmas Stocking Keyring by Marianna’s Lazy Daisy Days: These cute little keyrings could also be used as ornaments.
- Snowman by Natural Suburbia: This adorable little snowman is adorned with fleece facial features.
12 Free Crochet Patterns
These twelve free crochet patterns include a variety of options for ornaments. Some are stuffed while others are crocheted flat.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Soldier Ornament by 5 Little Monsters for Fairfield World: This adorable amigurumi toy soldier is a delightful addition to any tree.
- Chubby Sheep by Underground Crafter: This textured amigurumi sheep would make a great ornament for your favorite yarn-lover!
- Christmas Baubles Ornament by Crochet for You: This simple crochet project is embellished with embroidery.
- Twinkle Twinkle Star by Dora Does: This ornament can be made with yarn from your stash and metallic thread or yarn for bling.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Santa Ornament by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This portly amigurumi Santa has a double loop stitch beard.
- Glory! Christmas Ornament Cover by Oombawka Design: This granny-square inspired cover fits over a plastic ornament.
Joseph Coat Ornament by Crochet Kitten: This is one of 25 free crochet patterns in the Joseph Tree Advent Calendar.This pattern is no longer available.
- Fair Isle Snowflake Ornament by One Dog Woof: This crochet ornament has a knit look.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Snowdude by Underground Crafter: This amigurumi snowman adds a touch of winter to your decorations.
- Santa or Elf Treat Bags by Blackstone Designs: These little ornaments can also be used to hold small gifts or gift cards.
- Snowflake Christmas Bell by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This reversible bell ornament pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Rustic Evergreen Ornament by YARNutopia: This simple ornament includes a video tutorial.