I’m so happy to have Julie from J Crochet back as a guest contributor. She’s sharing her Preston Hat, an easy slouchy unisex beanie. She even worked up the Preston Hat in several different yarns so you can see how it looks in both solid and multicolor yarns.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
About Julie Muenstser
Julie learned to crochet as a child. Her mother taught her the basics, and her grandmother taught her how to read a pattern. She can be found crocheting in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, before school band concerts, at the Fire Museum, and during boring meetings. Julie is the designer and maker behind J Crochet.
Show your support by following Julie on:
Crochet Pattern by J Crochet
- This pattern uses American crochet terms.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue or favorites.
- Buy the ad-free PDF, including written instructions and line-by-line international stitch symbol diagrams, on Etsy or Julie’s website.
- 8 V-stitches = 6 inches (15 cm)
- Circumference: About 19-20 inches (51 cm)
- Length: 10 inches (25 cm)
Level of difficulty:
- Crochet hook: H hook (5 mm)
- Yarn: Medium 4 weight, 100% acrylic, 1 skein
- Tapestry needle optional (for weaving in ends)
- bphdc – back post half double crochet – Yo, insert hook from back around front to back of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 3 loops.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dc2tog – double crochet 2 together – Yo, insert hook from back around front to back of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice.
- hdc – half double crochet
- psc – picot single crochet – This adds a short chain in the middle of a single crochet, making a tiny bobble. Insert hook into designated st, yo, draw loop through, [yo, draw through 1 loop] 2x, yo, draw through both loops on hook.
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch/stitches
- V st – V stitch – (dc, ch 1, dc) in same stitch
- yo – yarn over
- x times (as in 2x = two times)
Notes on Sizing Hats:
- Sizing hats can be tricky! Check the diameter after round 9. The diameter should be about 19-20 inches (48-51 cm) and the length about 5.25 inches (13 cm). If yours varies significantly, the difference may be due to:
- Yarn: Not all weight 4 yarns are the same. You may get different results with different brands and even with different colors within the same brand.
- Tension: Yours may differ from mine.
- Change hook size OR
- For larger circumference, do additional increases in rounds 4 & 5.
- If you have questions, please feel free to email me (jcrochet AT gmail DOT com) or ask on the J Crochet Facebook page.
- NOTE: First V st in each round is made up of (3 ch, dc in same sp). (I use 2 ch to stand in for the first dc rather than the traditional 3 because it makes for less of a gap; the additional ch is for the ch sp (for a total of 3 ch).
- Note from Underground Crafter: Oombawka Design has a great magic circle (or magic ring) tutorial here.
- Round 1: Start with magic circle, ch 3, [dc, ch 1] 11x, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 dc & 12 ch sp)
- Round 2: Sl st in ch sp, [V st in each ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 V st)
- Round 3: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same sp, [2 V st in next ch sp, V st in next ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (18 V sts)
- Round 4: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same ch sp, V st in same ch sp, V st in each of next 5 ch sp, [2 V st in ch sp, V st in ea of next 5 ch sp] 2x, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (21 V sts)
- Round 5: Sl st in ch sp, V st in first 4 ch sp, [2 V in next ch sp, V st in next 6 ch sp] 2x, V st in next 2 ch sp, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (24 V sts)
- Round 6 WOMAN: Sl st in ch sp, V st in each ch sp, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (24 V sts)
- Round 6 MAN: Sl st in ch sp, [V st in first seven ch sp, 2 V in next ch sp] 3x, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (27 V sts)
- Rounds 7-9: Sl st in ch sp, V st in each ch sp, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (Woman’s: 24 V sts; Man’s: 27 V sts)
- Round 10: Ch 1, sc in each st around, sl st in first sc.
- Round 11: Ch 1, bphdc in each st around, sl st in first bphdc.
- Round 12: Sl st in ch sp, [sc in each of next 2 sts, psc in next] around, sl st in first sc.
- Round 13: Ch 1, hdc in each sc, sl st in first hdc.
- Round 14: Ch 1, sc in third loop of each hdc, sl st in first sc.
- Round 15: Sl st to second sc, [V st in sc, sk 2 sc] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3.
- Rounds 16-17: Sl st to second sc, [V st in sc, sk 2 sc] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3.
- Rounds 18-21: Repeat Rounds 10-13.
- Round 22: Ch 2, [dc in third loop of hdc] around, sl st in first dc.
- NOTE: For a snugger fit, [dc in each of 10 hdc, dc2tog] around.
- Round 23: Ch 1, [sc in each st] around, sl st in first sc.
- Fasten off. Weave in ends.
© 2018 by Julie Muenster (J Crochet) and published with permission by Underground Crafter. This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Julie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2018/01/26/crochet-pattern-preston-hat-by-j-crochet. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Thank you, Julie, for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! Show your support by visiting Julie at one of the following links: