I’m excited to share another guest post by Julie Muenster from J Crochet! The Emily had is an adorable lacy cloche hat with a button flower embellishment. It would delight a special little girl in your life. The Emily Hat is perfect for wearing in warm weather, so it’s here just in time for spring and summer.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
About Julie Muenstser
Julie learned to crochet as a child. Her mother taught her the basics, and her grandmother taught her how to read a pattern. She can be found crocheting in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, before school band concerts, at the Fire Museum, and during boring meetings. Julie is the designer and maker behind J Crochet.
Show your support by following Julie on:
Crochet Pattern by J Crochet
- This pattern uses American crochet terms.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue or favorites.
- Buy the ad-free PDF, including written instructions and line-by-line international stitch symbol diagrams, on Etsy or Julie’s website.
- Sizes: Baby: 6-12 months (yellow) | Toddler: 1-4 (purple)
- Gauge: Baby: 2 V-stitches = 1” (2.5 cm) | Toddler: 5 V-stitches = 3” (7.5 cm)
- Finished circumference: Baby: 15” (38 cm) | Toddler: 17” (43 cm)
- Level of difficulty: Intermediate
- Crochet hook: Baby: US D/3.25 mm | Toddler: US 4/3.5 mm
- Yarn: Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima Fine, Weight 2, 100% cotton, Main color: One 1.75-ounce/50-gram skein, Accent color: One 1.75-ounce/50-gram skein
- Button: One 1.25 inch (3 cm) button
- Tapestry needle for sewing on flower
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dtr – double treble crochet – Yo 3 times, insert hook into designated st, yo, draw loop through, [yo, draw through 2 loops] 4x.
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- psc – picot single crochet – This adds a short chain in the middle of a single crochet, making a tiny bobble. Insert hook into designated st, yo, draw loop through, [yo, draw through 1 loop] 2x, yo, draw through both loops on hook.
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch/stitches
- tr – treble (triple) crochet
- V-st – V stitch – (dc, ch 1, dc) in same stitch
- yo – yarn over
- x times (as in 2x = two times)
- First V-st in each round is made up of [3 ch, dc in same sp].
- I use 2 ch to stand in for the first dc rather than the traditional 3 because it makes for less of a gap; the additional ch is for the ch sp (for a total of 3 ch).
- Round 1: Start with magic circle, ch 3, [dc, ch 1] 11x, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 dc & 12 ch sp)
- Round 2: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, [V-st in each ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (12 V-st)
- Round 3: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same sp, [2 V-st in next ch sp, V-st in next ch sp] around, sl st in second ch of ch 3. (18 V-sts)
- Round 4: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same ch sp, V-st in same ch sp, V-st in each of next 2 ch sp, [2 V-st in ch sp, V-st in ea of next 2 ch sp] around, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (24 V-sts)
- Round 5: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same ch sp, V-st in each of next 2 ch sp, 2 V-st in next ch sp, [V-st in ea of next 3 ch sp. 2 V-st in next ch sp] around, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3. (30 V-sts)
- Rounds 6-13: Sl st in ch sp, ch 3, dc in same ch sp, V-st in ea ch sp around, sl st in ch 2 of beginning ch 3, end color/join white. (30 V-sts)
- Band round 1 (white): Ch 1, sc in same st and in ea of next 12 st, sc next 2 st together, [sc in ea of next 13 st, sc next 2 st together] around, sl st in first sc. (84 sc)
- Band round 2 (white): Ch 1, hdc in same st, [hdc in ea st] around, sl st in top of first hdc. (84 hdc)
- Band round 3 (white): Ch 1, sc in same st and next st, psc in next st, [sc in next 2 st, psc in next st] around, sl st in first sc of round. (84 st)
- Band round 4 (white): Ch 1, hdc in same st, [hdc in ea st] around, sl st in top of first hdc, switch to color. (84 hdc)
- Brim round 5 (color): Ch 2, 3 dc in same st, skip next st, [3 dc in next st, skip next st] around, sl st in top of first dc. (42 groups of 3 dc = 126 dc)
- Brim round 6 (color): Ch 1, hdc in same st, 3 dc in next st (middle st of 3-dc group), hdc in next st, [hdc in first st of 3-dc group, 3 dc in center st of 3-dc group, hdc in last st of 3-dc group] around, sl st in top of first hdc. Fasten off.
- Round 1 (color): In magic circle, ch 1, 10 sc in circle, sl st in first sc, pull circle closed. (10 sc)
- Round 2 (color): Ch 1, 2 hdc in ea st around, sl st in top back loop of first hdc. (20 hdc)
- Round 3 (color): [Ch 4, (2 tr in next st) 2x, ch 4, sl st in next st*, sl st in next st] 6x, ending last sequence at *. Fasten off. Leave long tail for sewing.
- Round 4 (white): WORK IN BACK LOOP OF ROUND 2 (behind purple petals). Join white in back loop of first hdc in Round 2, ch 1, sc in same st, [2 sc in ea of next 2 st,
sc in ea of next 2 st] 5x, 2 sc in ea of next 2 st, sc in next st, sl st in first sc. (36 sc)
- Round 5 (white): [Ch 4, dtr in next st, (2 dtr in ea of next 2 st) 2x, dtr in next st, ch 4, sl st in next st*, sl st in next st] 6x, ending at *. Fasten off, leaving long tail to sew flower onto hat.
- Affix button to center of flower.
- Attach flower with tapestry needle , catching petals so they donít curl (if desired).
© 2018 by Julie Muenster (J Crochet) and published with permission by Underground Crafter. This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Julie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2018/04/18/crochet-pattern-emily-hat-by-j-crochet. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Thank you, Julie, for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! Show your support by visiting Julie at one of the following links: