After last year’s Knitted Kitchen Blog Hop, I became a believer in knitting dishcloths and washcloths. These projects are quick to make, eco-friendly, and functional, and they make affordable gifts, great ways to try out new stitches, and beautiful handmade touches for any home. I’ve gathered 24 free knitting patterns for dishcloths and washcloths so you can make some today!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
24 Free Knitting Patterns for Dishcloths and Washcloths
Roundup by Underground Crafter
These first eight dishcloths and washcloths are my favorites from my own designs.
- Alhambra Dishcloth: The textured stitches in this dishcloth pattern create chevron arches.
- Ribbon Stitch Dishcloth: This deceptively simple color work pattern uses slip stitches and includes a video tutorial.
- Diagonal Moss Stripe Dishcloth: This traveling stitch pattern makes a stunning dishcloth and includes a video tutorial.
- Puff Lace Washcloth: This pattern combines a gentle ripple with “puffs” of reverse garter stitch for texture.
- Easy Ripple Washcloth: This striped washcloth pattern features a video tutorial.
- Double Andalusian Stitch Dishcloth: This easy peasy stitch pattern makes a delightful texture. The pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Simple Chevron Dishcloth: Stripes add visual interest to this chevron pattern.
- Zipper Rib Dishcloth: This ribbing variation resembles the teeth of a zipper. The pattern includes a video tutorial.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Chevron Scrubby Mitts by Simply Notable: These cute and functional mitts include a loop for hanging to dry.
- Simple Moss Stitch Dishcloth by Hands Occupied: This textured dishcloth pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Tear Drop Washcloth by NitaB&NishaN: This pattern includes 5 videos to walk you through the special cast on, bind off, and stitch pattern.
- Seed Stitch Dishcloth by Just Be Crafty: This simple pattern is a great mindful knitting project.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Garter Chevrons Washcloth by StitchesNScraps: This pattern includes written and charted instructions and a video tutorial.
- Nice and Neutral Dishcloth by DigKnitty Designs: This dishcloth is designed in the style of a nine patch quilt block.
- Butterfly Stitch Washcloth by StitchesNScraps: This pattern includes written and charted instructions and both photo and video tutorials for the butterfly stitch.
- Diamond Seed Stitch Dishcloth by Creative Crochet Workshop: This pattern includes both written and charted instructions, and links to a free crochet version of the same pattern.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- I Heart You Washcloth by Roving Crafters: This pattern includes both written and charted instructions for the heart shaped cables.
- Simple Weave Washcloth by 9 Stitches: This textured washcloth is a favorite on AllFreeKnitting.
- Striped Moss Stitch Dishcloth by Creative Crochet Workshop: This textured dishcloth includes written and charted instructions, and links to a free crochet version, too.
- Rustic Chic Dishcloth by LeeLee Knits: These striped dishcloths make a perfect host(ess) gift.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Bikini Dishcloth by Knits by Rachel: This fun pattern is a great way to welcome the summer or to remember a day at the beach.
- Super Simple Slip Stitch Dishcloth by A Busy Mommy: These striped dishcloths have plenty of texture.
- Basket Weave Dishcloth by Petals to Picots: This textured dishcloth is a great way to try out a classic knitting stitch combination.
- Diamond Twist Stitch Dishcloth by Laws of Knitting: This pattern is available as a free Ravelry download and includes a video tutorial.