I had such a great response to my roundup of 24 free knitting patterns for pom pom hats that I decided to do a crochet version! This roundup of 24 free crochet patterns for pom pom hats includes slouchy hats, beanies, sack hats, and more. Each one is embellished with a pom pom. This roundup also includes six matching sets with a pom pom hat that coordinates with another accessory, such as a scarf.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and publishers and are used with permission.
I love using my Clover Pom Pom Maker to make my pom poms fluffy and plush. Fiat Fiber Arts shares more Tips and Tricks for Making Pompoms and Tassels (including by hand) in this post. Several of the hats included in this tutorial use faux fur pom poms (available on Lion Brand or Amazon) instead of yarn pom poms.
24 Free Crochet Patterns for Pom Pom Hats
Roundup by Underground Crafter
- Snow Drops Slouch Hat by Left in Knots: This pattern includes a video tutorial and it coordinates with the free crochet patterns for the Snow Drops Mod Scarf and the Snow Drops Mittens.
- Simple Double Brim Hat by Wilmade: This two-color hat in an adult size includes a video tutorial.
- Rainbow Dreams Sack Hat by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This adorable hat is available in 8 sizes from preemie through 3-5 years.
- Slouchy Shells Hat by Underground Crafter: This striped slouchy is available in 5 sizes from 3-6 months through adult large.
- Simple Pompom Hat by Yarnspirations via AllFreeCrochet: This beginner-friendly slouchy hat with a fold up brim is available in 4 sizes from small child through large adult.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Pop of Color Waves Slouchy Hat by Underground Crafter: This beginner-friendly, unisex slouchy beanie is available in 7 sizes from 0-3 months through adult large.
- Urban Hiker Slouchy Hat by Underground Crafter: This unisex, textured, striped slouchy beanie pattern is available in 6 sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Kimberly Hat by Cute As A Button Crochet: This adult-sized hat matches the free crochet pattern for the Kimberly Infinity Scarf. The pattern includes a photo tutorial.
- Ombre Beanie by The Purple Poncho: This beginner-friendly hat is available in 3 sizes and coordinates with the free crochet patterns for the Ombre Cowl and the Ombre Fingerless Gloves.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Staghorn Slouch by Moogly: This pattern is available in 3 sizes from child through large adult and includes messy bun or pom pom options.
- Elena Slouch by Yarn and Chai: This slouchy, buttoned hat matches the free crochet pattern for the Elena Scarf.
- Chevron Hat by Whistle and Ivy: This adult-sized pattern includes a video tutorial for helping you to change colors.
- C2C Pom Pom Hat by Underground Crafter: This sack hat with a folded brim is made using corner-to-corner crochet.
- Bead Stitch Hat by 5 Little Monsters: This textured hat matches the free crochet pattern for the Bead Stitch Cowl.
Fourth column, from top to bottom:
- Aqua Ridge Slouchy Hat by Underground Crafter: This striped, textured slouchy hat pattern is available in 5 sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Snow Country Ski Beanie by Kirsten Holloway Designs: This pattern includes links to several video tutorials to help you through the stitches. It also coordinates with the free crochet pattern for the Snow Country Super Scarf.
- Chic Cable Beanie by My Hobby Is Crochet: This cabled beanie is available in 3 sizes from toddler through adult and includes a detailed photo tutorial.
- Ombre Pop Beanie by Kim Guzman: This textured hat uses an ombre yarn to create beautiful color transitions.
- Shell Beanie by Crystalized Designs: This beanie uses a self-striping yarn to make the colorwork easy. The pattern is available in 3 sizes from 1-3 years through adult.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Snow Drift Hat by Yarnspirations via AllFreeCrochet: This hat works up quickly in a super bulky yarn.
- Sierra Beanie by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This textured beanie was part of the Christmas Hat Crochet Along.
- Retro Hat by Linda Permann via AllFreeCrochet: This hat includes simple stripes and a fold up brim.
- Halsey Street Pom Pom Helmet by Lion Brand for AllFreeCrochet: This striped hat is made with a super bulky yarn.
- Faya Slouch by Noowul Designs: This slouchy hat was designed to support Lion Brand’s #HatNotHate campaign.