I’m so excited to be kicking off the fourth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with the Pop of Color Waves Slouchy Hat. This beginner-friendly slouchy beanie crochet pattern in 7 sizes makes a fun, unisex project. Choose neutral colors for the gentle waves with a bright, contrasting color for the band and pom pom, as I did, or customize it using three of your favorite yarn colors.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by LoveCrochet.
If you’re just hearing about the fourth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along, you can find all the details here or by clicking on the picture below.
This CAL will feature 15 free crochet patterns by 15 designers for winter holiday gifts and decorations. All of the patterns were designed using 1-3 skeins of Paintbox Yarns from LoveCrochet.com. And, there are 16 seriously amazing prizes from some of my favorite companies. Get all the details about the 2018 Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along, including the schedule, how to join, a complete yarn list, and how to enter the end-of-CAL giveaway here.
If you’ve been following along with the Holiday Stashdown CAL over the years (you can find 2015’s patterns here, 2016’s patterns here, and 2017’s patterns here), you may have noticed that I usually design a hat. Hats are my favorite fast projects to make and they are great gifts, too.
Let me tell you about the yarn, Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran. It’s only available online, so you won’t be able to find it in stores. It’s a soft, easy-care acrylic yarn, but it isn’t “splitty” like some soft acrylics. It’s available in 60 great colors, so you’re sure to find some great combinations to delight you and those on your gift list. It’s on the thicker side of a medium weight yarn. And, it’s quite affordable.
If you make your own Pop of Color Waves Slouchy Hat, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Pop of Color Waves Slouchy Hat to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This slouchy hat combines gentle waves in neutral colors with a hat band and pom pom in a vibrant, contrasting color. It’s a beginner-friendly project as there is no decreasing. This is the first pattern in the fourth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along.
- 0-3 Months (3-6 Months, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, Adult Large). Photographed sample is Teen/Adult Small. Height measurements do not include pom pom.
- 0-3 Months: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 7.25” (18.5 cm) height.
- 3-6 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.5” (19 cm) height.
- Toddler: 18” (46 cm) hat circumference x 8.25” (21 cm) height.
- Child: 19” (48 cm) hat circumference x 8.75” (22 cm) height.
- Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 9.5” (24 cm) height.
- Adult Medium: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 10” (25.5 cm) height.
- Adult Large: 23” (58.5 cm) hat circumference x 10.25” (26 cm) height.
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/201 yd/184 m) – 1 skein each in 259 Neon Green (CA), 206 Granite Grey (CB), and 205 Slate Grey (CC), or approximately 110 yd (100 m) in each of 3 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Clover Extra Large Pom Pom Maker (optional).
- 10 sts = 2” (5 cm) in pattern for Hat Band using smaller hook. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- 3L – third (back) loop – Heart Hook Home has a helpful video for identifying the third loop on hdc stitches here.
- BL – back loop only – Marly Bird has a helpful video for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- A helpful tutorial for the slip stitch seam is available here.
- A helpful photo tutorial showing how to close a slouchy hat by cinching is available here.
- Do not fasten off colors unless indicated. Carry unworked yarn inside the hat when changing colors.
- Ch 1 at beginning of row does not count as a stitch.
- Hat Band is crocheted flat in rows with small hook until it reaches desired hat circumference length. Rest of hat is worked with larger hook. After seaming Hat Band, stitches are picked up along long edge of seamed Hat Band. Hat is worked even and then cinched closed at crown.
- With smaller hook and CA, ch 11, or any odd number of sts.
- Row 1: Turn, skip first ch, [sl st in next st, hdc in next st] across. (10 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, starting in first st, [slst3L in next st, hdcBL in next st] across.
- Rep Row 2 until Hat Band measures approximately 15” (16”, 18”, 19”, 21”, 22”, 23”)/ 38 cm (40.5 cm, 46 cm, 48 cm, 53.5 cm, 56 cm, 58.5 cm) long. Do not fasten off.
- Fold Hat Band in half along long edge so short edges are lined up. Join short edges with slip stitch seam (see Pattern Notes), working through back loop on front layer and on back layer (unworked edge of foundation row). Do not fasten off.
Pick Up Stitches Along Hat Band
- Switch to larger hook. Begin working in the round along long edge/joined circumference.
- Round 1: Ch 1, work 60 (66, 72, 78, 84, 90, 86) sc evenly around long edge (or any multiple of 6 sts), change to CB when joining with slstBL to first sc. Fasten off CA.
- Round 2: Ch 1, starting in same st, *scBL, hdcBL, dcBL in next 2 sts, hdcBL, scBL; rep from * around, change to CC when joining with slstBL to first sc.
- Round 3: Ch 1, starting in same st, *dcBL, hdcBL, scBL in next 2 sts, hdcBL, dcBL; rep from * around, change to CB when joining with slstBL to first dc.
- Rep Rounds 2-3 until hat measures approximately 7.25” (7.5”, 8.25”, 8.75”, 9.5”, 10”, 10.25”/18.5 cm (19 cm, 21 cm, 22 cm, 24 cm, 25.5 cm, 26 cm) in height, or desired final height, ending after any Round.
- Fasten off color of second to last Round with regular length yarn tail (approximately 5”/13 cm) for weaving in ends securely.
- Fasten off color of final Round with long yarn tail (approximately 36”/91.5 cm in length) for closing top of hat.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail. Weave yarn needle through each stitch on finished edge. Slowly tighten yarn tail to pull top of hat closed (see Pattern Notes).
- For larger sizes, you may need to add stitches to sew top of hat closed after tightening yarn tail.
- With CA, make pom pom following instructions on Clover Extra Large Pom Pom Maker. Alternatively, make a pom pom by hand using this tutorial.
- Trim pom pom.
- Attach pom pom to hat using yarn needle and yarn tail that tied pom pom together.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.