As you can tell, I’m on a Christmas crochet spree! Chipper the Christmas Tree is a huggable holiday friend that can be gifted as a softie or used as a decorative pillow. The crochet pattern for this plush Christmas tree is decorated with comical eyes and pom pom yarn.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for the sample were generously provided by Red Heart, Fairfield, and Consumer Crafts.
While I was crocheting the Christmas Tree Pillow, I had the idea to crochet a plush Christmas Tree pal to go with it.
I knew I wanted to use the extra Consumer Crafts that were left over after I made the kits for my Crochet Rag Doll Characters class at In the MKNG. And, since I was thinking about In the MKNG, I was reminded of this super cute pom pom garland made with yarn… And, that’s how my idea for decorating Chipper the Christmas Tree with pom pom tinsel was born.
View this post on Instagram
It’s a fun way to use Pomp-a-Doodle, and it really adds a cute look to the little guy. You can use more or less, or space it out differently to suit your preferences.
If you make your own Chipper the Christmas Tree, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Chipper the Christmas Tree
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Approximately 13” (33 cm) tall before stuffing.
- yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein each in 368 Paddy Green (CA) and 365 Coffee (CB) and small amounts of 319 Cherry Red (CC), or approximately 155 yd (142 m) in CA, 40 yd (36.5 m) in CB, and 2 yd (2 m) in CC in any medium weight yarn.
- yarn (100% polyester, 3 oz/100 g, 14 yd/13 m) – 1 skein in 6520 Mint (CD), or approximately 4 yd (3.5 m) in CD in any pom pom yarn.
- US F–5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Consumer Crafts – 1 pair.
- Fiber Stuffing.
- 18 sc = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that fiber filling doesn’t show.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- ch – chain
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- When choosing colors, note that CA is the color of the Christmas Tree, CB is the color of the Christmas Tree Bark, CC is the color of the Mouth, and CD is the color of the Tinsel.
- Ch 1 at beginning of Rows and Rounds does not count as a stitch.
- A helpful tutorial for working a single crochet seam is .
- Helpful video tutorials for embroidery stitches, including the backstitch, are .
Christmas Tree Panels (Make 2)
- With CA, ch 2.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, 2 sc in next ch. (2 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, 2 sc in next st. (3 sts)
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st. (Increases by 1 st)
- Rows 4-55: Rep Row 3 until final Row has 56 sts. Fasten off CA.
- Row 56: Skip 18 sts, join CB with sl st to next st, ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 19 sts, skip remaining sts. (20 sts)
- Row 57: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in next 19 sts.
- Rows 58-65: Rep Row 57, 8 times. Fasten off CB.
Assembly and Finishing
Decorate Facial Features
- Position safety eyes on Christmas Tree Front Panel approximately 7 rows above Bark. When satisfied with position, lock washers into position on back (wrong side) of Panel to secure.
- Thread yarn needle with approximately 24” (61 cm) in CC. Use backstitch (see Pattern Notes) to create mouth in CC below eyes. With yarn needle, weave in ends on wrong side of Front Panel.
Decorate Tree with Pom Pom Tinsel
- *Cut off first pom pom of CD. Thread yarn needle with CD yarn before next pom pom. Starting with pom pom on Front Panel above eyes, use yarn needle to draw yarn before pom pom to the back (wrong side) of panel. Weave in ends of CD securely on back. Fasten off CD on back, leaving pom pom and yarn from ball of CD hanging at front.
- Thread yarn needle with approximately 24” (61 cm) in CA. Starting on back (wrong side) of Front Panel, use CA and yarn needle to secure yarn between pom poms by stitching from the wrong side over CD back to the wrong side as pictured. Use yarn needle to secure CA on wrong side.
- **Position next pom pom in CD on front (right side) with yarn slack hanging like tinsel before the next pom pom. Use CA and yarn needle to secure yarn between pom poms by stitching from the wrong side over CD back to the wrong side. Repeat at other side of pom pom. Use yarn needle to secure CA on wrong side; rep from ** until front is decorated with Pom Pom Tinsel.
- Rep from * on Back Panel, starting at long edge above Bark.
Assemble and Finish
- Place Back Panel underneath Front Panel with wrong sides together (facial features and tinsel sides out). Join CB with sl st at side of Tree Bark. Join Tree Bark with single crochet seam (see Pattern Notes), working 1 sc through each st or side of Row through both layers of Panels until you get to bottom of Tree Panel. Fasten off CB, change to CA, and continue to join Tree Panel with single crochet seam, working 1 sc through each st or side of Row through both layers of Panels until Tree is about 75% seamed.
- Stuff firmly with Poly-Fil. Continue working single crochet seam around until you reach first single crochet adding stuffing if necessary. Join with sl st to first single crochet. Fasten off CA.
- With yarn needle, weave in remaining ends on inside of Tree.