The knitting pattern for the Woven Cable Square has a woven cable as the centerpiece of the block. If you’re new to cables, this pattern includes linked video tutorials to help you out. This pattern is the forty-seventh square in the Harmony Blanket Knit Along.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
In the patterns I’m designing in the Harmony Blanket KAL, I’m highlighting my favorite stitch guides. I adapted this particular woven cable from one I found in Up, Down, All-Around Stitch Dictionary by Wendy Bernard. I love this book because it includes instructions for each pattern worked both flat and in the round, with written and charted instructions. If you’re new to “translating” knit patterns from flat to in the round, it’s very helpful!
Since this is my last Harmony Blanket Knit Along square (though there is one more pattern to go next week), I made an Amazon list of my favorite stitch guides, including all the stitch guides I used for my blocks this year. If you’re a knitting stitch junkie, too, you may find something you need to add to your collection!
About the Harmony Blanket KAL
- Get all the details on this KAL featuring 48 free knitting patterns by 13 designers here.
- Chat with other knitters in our KAL Corner Facebook group, or in this thread in the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- Sign up for the KAL Corner email list to get a weekly email when a new pattern is available.
If you make your own Woven Cable Square, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Woven Cable Square to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Woven Cable Square
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
A richly textured woven cable is the centerpiece of this block.
- 6″ (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein in 173 Dusty Green, or approximately 45 yd (41 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle.
- Yarn needle.
- 20 sts = 4″ (10 cm) in pattern. Completed square = 6″ (15 cm) in pattern after blocking. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- C6B – 6-stitch right-leaning cable – Sl 3 sts to cable needle, hold cable needle at back, k3, k3 from cable needle. Leisure Arts has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- C6F – 6-stitch left-leaning cable – Sl 3 sts to cable needle, hold cable needle at front, k3, k3 from cable needle. Leisure Arts has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Pattern repeat is any multiple of 18 sts for the cable, + 4 sts for edges, + 8 sts for borders.
- CO 30 sts.
- Border Row 1: K to last st, p1.
- Border Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Border Rows 3 & 4: Rep Row 2 twice.
Woven Cable Stitch Pattern
- Row 1: (RS) Sl 1, k3, p2, k18, p2, k3, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k5, p18, k5, p1.
- Row 3: Sl 1, k3, p2, [C6F] 3 times, p2, k3, p1.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2.
- Row 5: Rep Row 1.
- Row 6: Rep Row 2.
- Row 7: Sl 1, k3, p2, k3, [C6B] twice, k3, p2, k3, p1.
- Row 8: Rep Row 2.
- Rep Rows 1-8 until square measures approximately 5.5″ (14 cm), ending after Row 4 or Row 8.
- Border Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 3 times the width of square).